Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harbor freight tumbler

biglou13

For years I've only utrasonic cleaned ( for space restraint)

recently , now living in more humid climes, have noticed brass tarnishing, in some cases severely

I bought a harbor freight tumbler recently.   Along with walnut media and nu finish

brass comes out shiny!   

My my concern is  second batch I ran was under 1 hour.   Wing nut was almost too hot to handle.....

im thinking safety hazard!

is this normal?

what if I needed to run longer than 1 hour?

those with hf 5#  tumbler  how long do you run?   Does it generate heat?

i have a feeling I'm going to exchange this one......

I'm not sure which tumbler you are referring to. I have the large large vibratory tumbler (Chicago Electric). Bowl, lid and nut are plastic. I haven't had any issues with heat anywhere on the unit and I've had it run as long as 4 hours with no issues.

I also have their 2-unit, rotary tumbler setup for wet-tumbling and no issues with heat either - though I did switch to Rebel Extreme rotary tumbler for the capacity. 

running replacement now. 

this one is quieter already....

i pretty sure last one was a lemon!!!

replacement went 40 minutes....  metal base was warm.... wing nut stayed cool. 

Edited by biglou13

no shipping and had a coupon........

ok i've heard wildly varying times for time in tumbler?

how long are you running?

how often do you add more nu finish?

i cant complain with fine walnut, i may throw in a handful of rice (since i'm not eating it, doing  lo- carb),  is corn cob any different?

on the Franklin tmbler, I added a section of rubber fuel line around the stud to keep the media and brass from rubbing on it. It will wear and break eventuality otherwise.

Time? Depends on how nasty the brass is.  usually just fire it up then dry fire, reload, gun smith, or generally keep busy. But normally at least an hour, probably is overkill.  I add more stuff to enhance the action when I remember. 

23 hours ago, biglou13 said:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

this one, wing nut on mine was metal..

I'm exchanging it

Glad you're up and running. The link you sent shows the one I have - the 18lb model off  to the right side of the add. I've played around from 1 hour to 4 hours. I didn't notice a great difference past an hour or so. The only recipe I've tried is HF's walnut and Nufinish. It is important to clean and/or replace the media from time to time. It does appear to wear out. It's fairly obvious when this happens as it won't clean nearly as well. I recently purchased a bag of corncob from Zoro - love that company. I'm going to give it a try with mineral spirits - also bought from Zoro as my local home improvement store didn't carry it.

I'm still playing around with dry tumbling and wet tumbling as I figure out my preferred method for processing/reloading. I've acquired a descent supply of brass, so I'm cleaning much less frequently, and in bulk.

On August 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM, biglou13 said:

no shipping and had a coupon........

ok i've heard wildly varying times for time in tumbler?

how long are you running?

how often do you add more nu finish?

i cant complain with fine walnut, i may throw in a handful of rice (since i'm not eating it, doing  lo- carb),  is corn cob any different?

I run 4 hours in walnut then 4 hours in corn cob. Both very fine particles. Walnut is sharp and cleans the brass. Once the sharp edges wear down it won't come out clean any longer. Corn cob polishes the cases to a high shine. I put a capful if diluted new finish in the corn only about every 3-4 loads. Too much polish and the corn turns green and gets gunked up and quits polishing as well. I buy both in 40 pound bags and change both about every 10 - 12 loads or so.

No water! I mix it with mineral spirits at about 25% wax/75% spirits. Turn on tumbler and run a bead around real quick then let the tumbler run 5 minutes before adding brass. If you don't do that the wet stuff will compact in some cases.

We usually buy stuff from drill spot or grainger online when they have free shipping or just google local blasting companies and go pick it up. I use cat litter buckets to store it in and it lasts a few years at least

3 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Test #2

Still doesn't work as in prior forum.  :(

Nothing works as in prior forums! Frustrating that I can't seem to be able to do much at all by phone. Haven't really done much with the PC yet