Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 147gr HST

v1911

Came across a deal on some pulled 147gr HST pills from RMR. Decided work up some loads using Silhouette, N350 and BE-86.

Bullet: 147gr HST

Primer: S&B

Brass: Mixed

OAL: 1.145

Gun: 5" 2011 w/Schumann barrel

5 shot avg

BE-86:

4.9gr - FPS 1050 - SD 8.1 - ES 17 - PF 154

5.1gr - FPS 1091 - SD 8.5 - ES 20 - PF 160

N350:

4.6gr - FPS 967 - SD 12 - ES 28 - PF 142

4.8gr - FPS 998 - SD 10 - ES 25 - PF 146

5.0gr - FPS 1027 - SD 8.7 - ES 20 - PF 150

Silhouette:

4.8gr - FPS 953 - SD 12.1 - ES 28 - PF 140

5.0gr - FPS 989 - SD 9.9 - ES - 23 - PF 145

5.2gr - FPS 1028 - SD 1.9 - ES 5 - PF 151

Edited by v1911

See the bottom line, if you're interested in what the factory load would do from a Glock 19's shorter barrel. I didn't bother writing anything down regarding ES or SD because I only ran five rounds over the chrono. I don't consider fewer than ten shots to be a large enough sample.

post-11460-0-56722700-1470066759_thumb.j

Edited by MemphisMechanic

See the bottom line, if you're interested in what the factory load would do from a Glock 19's shorter barrel. I didn't bother writing anything down regarding ES or SD because I only ran five rounds over the chrono. I don't consider fewer than ten shots to be a large enough sample.

Good info.

I remember finding that factory info was on 147gr was 1000fps. Your data confirms this. When I looked up Federal's website today, they listed a 150gr bullet at 900fps. I weighed mine and they are definitely 147gr.

Why are you loading them so hot?

So hot compared to minor PF? Because all I did was try to replicate factory HST fps. For that, I need to lessen the charge for the BE-86. But that's why we use chrono right? ;)

HST is a highly effective self defense bullet. He wants them to go fast enough to open effectively if, god forbid, he ever needs them.
I always love this discussion. I was going to load some SD AMMO since it costs so much and I need so much of it to keep everything loaded now that I keep the PCC loaded as well. But always read and heard you shouldn't use home brews to well, shoot people. But I have also seen that you are probably screwed anyway if it ever happened.

Should I load up some SD AMMO?

Oh. And that load at the top of my spreadsheet? The only 115gr load? Recoils just like HST if you want to make "recoils like my carry ammo" practice ammo.

Noted.

Practicing with 9mm HST handloads is a lot more pleasant than the .45 counterpart. After working up some 230gr HST I remembered why I don't carry a .45. My hand literally hurt after less than 100rds. I just don't have the paws to manage the recoil well enough to claim to be comfortable carrying them.

HST is a highly effective self defense bullet. He wants them to go fast enough to open effectively if, god forbid, he ever needs them.
I always love this discussion. I was going to load some SD AMMO since it costs so much and I need so much of it to keep everything loaded now that I keep the PCC loaded as well. But always read and heard you shouldn't use home brews to well, shoot people. But I have also seen that you are probably screwed anyway if it ever happened.

Should I load up some SD AMMO?

Not to derail this thread, PM sent.

Sarge,

My personal beliefs on the "should I load my own carry ammo" are quite strong. But he asked for help with regard to chrono-ing it - not to be validated or lectured on the practice in general.

Unlike the rest of the Internet, I chose to provide the info I have that is relevant to his question, and trust him to be an adult with regard to whether it is a good idea or not. You know, that whole 'personal responsibility' thing. ;-)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I did the same with Speer Gold Dot, bought the 124 grain bullets, Speer Nickel Brass and duplicated Speer's 124g +P load with a little trial and error and I practice with the ammo I loaded as often as I can.

I did the same with Speer Gold Dot, bought the 124 grain bullets, Speer Nickel Brass and duplicated Speer's 124g +P load with a little trial and error and I practice with the ammo I loaded as often as I can.

And wouldnt you know it, I looked all over the web for those exact bullets last night and they are out of stock across the board. I have made up my mind to load several thousand of these when I can find them again.

Sarge,

My personal beliefs on the "should I load my own carry ammo" are quite strong. But he asked for help with regard to chrono-ing it - not to be validated or lectured on the practice in general.

Unlike the rest of the Internet, I chose to provide the info I have that is relevant to his question, and trust him to be an adult with regard to whether it is a good idea or not. You know, that whole 'personal responsibility' thing. ;-)

true

em again.

Oh. And that load at the top of my spreadsheet? The only 115gr load? Recoils just like HST if you want to make "recoils like my carry ammo" practice ammo.

Just found a stash of 115gr JHP that I bought a year ago but never loaded. I'll be looking at your info to load them up. Thanks.

I didn't chrono the 115gr loads. I did test them over each of the 3 powders all loaded to 5.5gr at an indoor low/no light match. To my surprise, N350 had the least (no existent?) amount of flash. BE-86 had very little and the same for silhouette.

I'll use the N350 for my 9mm and save the BE-86 for .45.

Edited by v1911

My friend & shooting buddy, Massad Ayoob (who is a court certified Expert Witness on self-defense shootings in Lord knows how many states) has some strong thoughts against the practice of using reloaded ammo for self-defense. Some are the result of actual court proceedings & verdicts and his reasons against the practice are too long to go into here.

The bottom line is don't do it! The "unintended consequences" can be severe. If you can load the HST bullets to the same velocity as the factory load, then why not avoid all the potential problems and just buy a box of factory loads and run those in your EDC gun, and just practice with your reloads?

My friend & shooting buddy, Massad Ayoob (who is a court certified Expert Witness on self-defense shootings in Lord knows how many states) has some strong thoughts against the practice of using reloaded ammo for self-defense. Some are the result of actual court proceedings & verdicts and his reasons against the practice are too long to go into here.

The bottom line is don't do it! The "unintended consequences" can be severe. If you can load the HST bullets to the same velocity as the factory load, then why not avoid all the potential problems and just buy a box of factory loads and run those in your EDC gun, and just practice with your reloads?

Thank you for the warning of Massas Ayoob. I've never met the man and have nothing against him but I don't agree with his preachings.

And wouldnt you know it, I looked all over the web for those exact bullets last night and they are out of stock across the board. I have made up my mind to load several thousand of these when I can find them again.

They are odd, I have found them somewhat plentiful at times and then no where. I am speculating, but I believe Speer was changing their Gold Dot ammo recently and possibly the old bullet is "no longer available" and they haven't made the new ones available yet? Or they are simply between production runs, I don't know.

If you need some, contact me, I may be able to help.

I am not recommending hand loading self defense loads (everyone can decide for themselves), but I believe in all the years of hearing this advice, I think I have only seen two court cases where it ever made a difference and even that wasn't exactly clear in my opinion.

I know on the loads I made, they are indistinguishable from the factory loads unless you analyzed the powder itself. Otherwise, performance is identical.