Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waterjeting

blacklab

I just finished getting all the parts to start a new 2011 open build. Has anyone ever tried to waterjet a 2011 slide? I was thinking insted of the normal lightning cuts I'd like to have a detailed wolf's head cut into the slide. I don't think a CNC could do it. I seen some rather detailed designs done with a waterjet, but couldn't find anyone who does it to slides. Is this possible, could the detailed cuts take the abuse? Or should I just keep thinking inside the box and go with the normal cuts?

I would think the sharp edges and points would be an easy place for a slide to start cracking.

Those sharp corners would definitely allow cracks to start. Also, a water jet can cut very hard material but can't pierce hard materials cleanly so each of the areas to be cut out would need a small access hole drilled to create a starting point for the jet. Scale that artwork down to fit on a slide and the access holes would have to be tiny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by HDGoose

Maybe talk to Glenn at Lone Star Innovations about doing some fancy 3D panel cuts to your slide. his work is not the normal slide lightening cuts you'll see on everyone else's guns. And they seem to be done in areas of the slide so you don't have to work about cracking the slide.

Water jet isn't going to give you nice quality cuts. If you want 100% crisp corners - it needs to be EDM'd, and likely will crack with not much use.

We can do any cuts you'd like via CNC mill though. :) Check us out in our industry forum.

Are you looking to cut all the way through ? Why not just have them laser engraved ?

Yes I wanted to go all the way through. I thought instead of normal cuts, it would be nice to do something original. But it looks like there is a reason no one ever did something like that.