Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rising Metal Prices

MikeyG23

I work in aerospace and metals of all kinds are on a steady if not spectacular rise in price. Availability is also starting to become an issue especially with titanium and some other exotics. We are getting material quotes that are valid for 24 HOURS that used to be valid for 30-45 DAYS. The main reason given is that China is buying up everything in sight.

I've also noted a pretty good jump in bullet prices over the past 6 months or so.

Hope this craziness ends soon or I'll be shooting an AirSoft :angry:

No shit. Bullet prices are getting out of hand. They're up probably 20% since last year.

Aluminum is worse than that. We use a fair amount of 6061 T6 for tooling in .500", 1.00", and up. We are paying almost $3000.00 for a 48" x 144" sheet of 1.00" compared to $1200-1500 a year ago and lately we've been forced into using 1.25" where we would have used 1.00", the 1.0" stuff is hard to get and using the thicker just drives the cost up since it's all priced by the pound.

I believe another location of where the steel is going is the dam currently being built across the Yangtze river in China. It is the 3rd largest (I believe) river in the world and the new dam is 1.6 miles long and over 600 feet tall. I think construction is supposed to be completed in 2009.

Zach

I heard the same thing, China is building 10 new International Airports and there consuming lots of metal and concrete. Compare concrete prices now to three years ago… The other problem is our deficit it is extremely high, and speculation of inflation in the States.

I work in aerospace and metals of all kinds are on a steady if not spectacular rise in price. Availability is also starting to become an issue especially with titanium and some other exotics. We are getting material quotes that are valid for 24 HOURS that used to be valid for 30-45 DAYS. The main reason given is that China is buying up everything in sight.

I've also noted a pretty good jump in bullet prices over the past 6 months or so.

Hope this craziness ends soon or I'll be shooting an AirSoft :angry:

The supplier that we use at work said that his quotes are only good until I get past the front door. I mostly do prototype work,so we don't buy much in large volume. Hopefully the prices don't go up high enough to make it to costly to have a machinist around.

if the bullet prices dont quit going up, im gonna have to start practicing with plain cast lead!

YUCK

it looks like the musket brigade is coming with those foul things!

It is also affecting TRUCK TIRES. China has consumed all of the bias belted tires available. That’s why the US went to radial several years ago. Now China is starting with the radials. To top it off, they are becoming the largest consumers. The USA is no longer a 600 lb gorilla everyon feared ... it's now the 1000 lb PANDA everyone has to worry about. And it's going to get worse before it gets better.