Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stages

ZackJones

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How they are set at WSSC is irrelevant, unless they are done by a consensus of the sanctioning body.

Given that USPSA is running WSSC I would fully expect the stages to be set up perfectly.

Unfortunately Zack, I think that you and I and most of the others here know more about SCSA than the folks at HQ. This isn't meant to be a slam against the HQ folks, but most of them are truly USPSA shooters and only deal with SCSA because it is part of their job. We are the ones who shoot SCSA several weekends a month and know it well and what works and what doesn't work regardless if it is stage set-up, rules, etc.

Unfortunately Zack, I think that you and I and most of the others here know more about SCSA than the folks at HQ. This isn't meant to be a slam against the HQ folks, but most of them are truly USPSA shooters and only deal with SCSA because it is part of their job. We are the ones who shoot SCSA several weekends a month and know it well and what works and what doesn't work regardless if it is stage set-up, rules, etc.

That's why we're getting there early :). We can walk the stages and if we see something that doesn't look right we can discuss it with Troy. What I'm most interested in seeing is which plates are parallel to the front edge of the shooting box and which ones aren't. I wish now I had taken photos of the stage setups at FL state so I could have them for comparison purposes.

They should all face the shooter. It's the safest way.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. Don't the places on Accelerator, Roundabout, and The Pendulum already face the shooter and are parallel to the front of the shooting box?

Zack, Let me explain. There is a difference between a target facing parallel to the box and facing the shooter. If the targets are facing the shooters, then the surface of the plate is perpendicular to the bullet flight. That allows the bullet to impact squarely on the plate and have the best chance to disintegrate. Any angle off of perpendicular allows the bullet energy to push off at an angle. often going on to other stages. That's why I want the target faces perpendicular to the angle of the bullet flight. Its safer. and hay bales or a pile of loose dirt at the base of the target also stops a lot of the pieces from coming back at the shooters, RO's and other shooters.

It seems to me that there is support for not adding additional movement, and I would support that position.

The other interesting feedback in this thread is the lack of space that some clubs have in terms of setting up some of the stages. Maybe there could be a short course SC and a long course SC, that would allow clubs to run matches that fit their range footprint. Each course would have standardized stages in my thinking, and qualification criteria. Kind of like executive golf courses and standard length courses...

Edited by YogiBravo

It seems to me that there is support for not adding additional movement, and I would support that position.

The other interesting feedback in this thread is the lack of space that some clubs have in terms of setting up some of the stages. Maybe there could be a short course SC and a long course SC, that would allow clubs to run matches that fit their range footprint. Each course would have standardized stages in my thinking, and qualification criteria. Kind of like executive golf courses and standard length courses...

I also agree with no movement . I have been promoting our local SC match as the most diverse shooting sport out there. From Grandparents to Grandchildren , Male and Female,and some handicapped. Last two matches we had individual in wheelchair shoot and he loved it.

I am new to this forum and just saw (and read all responses) to this thread.  I agree with Nimitz - if it is not broken, don't try to fix it.  I began shooting later in life (64) and was drawn to steel challenge.  I do not want more movement or I would have chosen a diff format.  I like the idea of 8 stages that stay the same match to match.  Many of the ranges I shoot at in Florida shoot 4 to 6 stages per match.  Some include stages that are not "real" steel challenge stages - I do not go to those matches.  George

Welcome to the Senior and Super Senior category. I started back around 2009 (62) shooting Steel Challenge but then it went away near me between 2011 and 2014. Came back in 2014 and along with Rimfire Challenge those are the 2 types of matches I shoot most.