Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Case Length Variation - Trimming

mkink

I am just starting to reload .223 and started with a Dillon 650XL and the RT1500 case trimmer. I set up the case prep toolhead with the Dillon sizing/decapping die and the case trimmer. After setting up the trimmer for 1.75", and I ran some brass through the process. I measured the first few cases and the case length was fairly consistent at 1.748"-1.751". After running several hundred case through the process, I decided to measure the case. The case length varied significantly; ~1.738-1.750". The trimmer dies is fairly tight and so is the locking nut for the trimmer. I find it difficult to tighten the trimmer too much because when you tighten the trimmer, the trimmer dies get loosened. So, my questions,

1. Will these shorter cases (1.738" or so) be alright to load? Or, should I scrap the short case? How short is acceptable? I am shooting an AR rifle.

2. Is this variation normal for the trimmer? Or, is there something that is not right with the setup?

Thanks again for your help!

I can't answer your questions regarding trimmer variation but I've loaded plenty of brass that short. Actually all the Freedom Munitions reman ammo seems to be trimmed right around 1.74 or slightly shorter.

I would say that's a normal variation for mixed fired (1x, 2x, 3x, ... etc.) brass with different head stamps.

If you want less trimmed OAL variation with the cases you would need to sort with the same head stamp and if you want it to be tighter even more try using brass with also the same amount of firings.

You can also try trimming/holding it a fraction of a second more and see if that helps.

With my hoser ammo I wouldn't even bother with the above.

Also if the lube wasn't consistent (in a given range) that could also cause an increase in the variation. If some were harder to take out because of the amount of lube... from what I've seen those tend to be longer than the rest. If it's tight either the body or the neck is being stretched out to more than normal when they are taken out.

Thanks for the replies. These casings were once fired LC and FC head stamped. It did seem like there was more variation with the FC head stamp than the LC. This is just for hoser ammo as well. It sounds like these will be fine to load, and it is expected with the case trimmer. I did move fairly quickly when trimming, so that could be cause for some of the variation.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of your brass could have been shorter than 1.750" (hence never trimmed further).

If you want consistency, you need to sort your brass and all of it has to start out longer than your trim length.

• 2 weeks later...