Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Both eyes

It can be done. I am sure you can read a book with both eyes. Really concentrate on focusing the front sight I guess. I started shooting shotgun so both eyes open was a natural transition.

There are differing levels of eye dominance. There are many threads here that talk about it. The search function is your friend.

Sometimes a piece of tape on the less dominant eye can help. For some folks, slightly squinting the off side eye can be enough. Some very competitive shooters close one eye.

I've always shot with both eyes open, but I have a strong right eye dominance. Try a few things you read here, but everyone's eyes and brain are wired differently. There are benefits to shooting with both eyes open, but don't get hung up on it if it doesn't work for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few things on this topic that I have learned that might help you. 

Double vision is something done in your brain and not with your eyes.  I have discussed this at great length with several optometrists, that being said you can train out of it.  I used to have this problem as a child, I got over it and never see two sets of sights yet having being a firearms instructor this was something that always bothered me for students as it is a very common problem.  

The chap stick, lip stick, or scotch tape over the eye works but doesnt do well for your depth perception which is useful in action shooting, if your doing strictly target shooting or shooting that doesn't require movement much stay and shoot and not move and shoot then you this might be a quick solution.  For a self defense and move and shooting where you want to see more targets and depth perception then I would advise you train out of it.  The million dollar question is how?

This is something you can do at the range & in a dry fire at home setting.  What you need to do is get a sight picture & alignment then wink/blink your non-dominate eye if that doesnt work you can blink for longer meaning leaving the eye shut until you get a focus on the dominate eye and focus on that sight picture and ignore and dont focus on the "other" sights that aren't there when your eye is closed.  Having used this method I have been able to get students to train out of seeing 2 sight pictures. Every once in a while you might have to blink that eye but eventually it will get better (with practice) and eventually go away as it is something in our brain and not anything going on with the eyes. 

Once you master this then you can start working on the skill of knowing how much sight picture & sight alignment and where to focus on depending on the target distance, skill, size of targets.  That is the skill that is one of the hardest to learn... when to slow down, when to focus more, this is assuming there is no flinching issue. 

Hope this helps...

I think really your focus changes and also depends on several factors:  Skill level, Distance, Size of target.  If your skill level is there meaning your not flinching (look up ball and dummy drills to test for this) then focus at say 5-10 feet you shouldnt need to focus heavy on front sight, for me I focus on target but this is only for big target up close. 

So if your shooting at a large target at 3-5 yards are less with a good grip, stance (proper natural point of aim) you dont need your sights at all.  I kind of punch the slide into the target, but its very important that your slide is in line with your eye.  So if you draw an imaginary line between your eye and the point you wish to hit on the target that is the plane in which you should be driving the gun.  Improper grip could make the gun tilt up, down, left, right.  But if you have a good grip and punch the pistol into this plane of your line of sight your pistol will be a soft blur while your focusing on target (where your punching to)  once you get to full extension press the trigger.

These skills are pretty hard to explain over the net but in person its much easier.  Even then outside looking in is always easier, even when I am shooting I take video of myself to see my own mistakes that I am not aware I am doing. 

When targets are farther, smaller things change and that in conjunction with your skill level will dictate how much of a sight picture you need.  What you need vs what I need vs what a national champ needs as far as sight picture goes will all be different.  That being said its good to push the limits a little not to where your getting misses but where you can figure out what your skill level is. 

For anyone who is wanting more I think the best thing you can do is buy training from someone who is certified/qualified and has some experience teaching these principles.  You will be miles ahead of most folks with some formal training.  When I have a new shooter one that is a clean slate with no bad habits to break its so much easier to help them.  Once you do something wrong 2000 times, its super hard to unlearn something. 

Hope it has helped in some way. 

• 4 weeks later...