Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Cartridge Case Bin and Bracket?

Does anyone use a Dillon cartridge case bin and bracket on an SDB? I currently use a cut down Akro bin on top of the loaded cartridge bin. Works okay but the factory one looks like it would work better. I can't find any threads about it or recall anyone mentioning it. Going to order a tool head stand anyway, so is it worth throwing in the box on the same postage trip?

Edited by sheepdog

Terry, I go retro on all my stuff. Got rid of the Harley shift linkage on the SD, sounds like a Gold Wing now, and rigged an oil funnel as the bullet chute on the old 550.

image37279.jpg

image37159.jpg

This is what I'm using now. The front of the brass box is cut away so I can grab brass more easily and the Kydex piece helps it hold brass at the front. Probably not a necessary part but it sort of helps, sort of experimental. I ordered the bin rack because I think it will be a tiny bit easier to reach without looking. I think it will be a better position and I'm left handed so any little bit of improvement for my right hand operation helps. I borrowed the idea of cutting down the front.
Can't seem to turn the pic right.

THANKS 9x45 got it now. AND the part came in today.

post-1831-0-46070600-1469182656_thumb.jp

Edited by sheepdog

Here it is: https://www.dillonprecision.com/square-deal-empty-cartridge-bin-bracket-assembly_8_3_26029.html

It holds an empty bin out closer to where you can grab an empty case and go straight toward the first station. Seems handy but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it so maybe there is a better alternative.

I use one on my Square Deal B. It is worth it's money. It mount directly on the top of the strong mount. Makes reloading easier on the Square Deal B.

9X45 there were at least 3 generations of linkage on the powder measures.

The latest is the "clunky" one and it is that way to help prevent double charges and squibs.

IMG_20160116_094552_734_zpsgmc1t4be.jpg

The first one is like the one you cut up but the second gen had the fail safe rod to make sure the measure returned even if the springs didn't pull it back, preventing a squib. It makes no more noise than the first gen and might save you some day.

840a765e-1505-49c7-9a17-b83b7cb3a4e6_zps

Edited by jmorris

Yea, but my old mid 80's 550 didn't have any of that linkage on it, and I've been loading on that one much longer. Plus I always use a light. Can't spot an upside down primer, but you can see a double charge on the 550. My .357SIG load is 7.8 grains of BE86, and if you pull the handle twice it's all over the press. And the only Glocks I ever blew up were due to bullet setback (once you blow one up, it's no big deal). So I always check to make sure the bullet "snaps" into the case.

image37267.jpg

image37374.jpg

Oh, and the other thing I use is a 650 primer magazine tube with the brass pickup tip. Used to have to change the plastic ones every few months, and since putting the brass one on, both presses have run for over 12 years straight without primer hick-ups. Dillon does not recommend this.

The reciprocating primer systems like the SD, 550 and 1050 all use a plastic tip on the primer tube so if something goes wrong the tip gives way vs more force being imparted into the primer (why Dillon won't suggest it).

The 650 is a rotary feed system (likely the most reliable primer feed there is) and uses the brass tip.

What is the issue with using the 650 primer mag tube and brass tips? Thanks

Because the SD and 550 are inline primer (linear) systems, the 650 and 1050 are rotary. I have never had a problem with my setups.

Because the SD and 550 are inline primer (linear) systems, the 650 and 1050 are rotary. I have never had a problem with my setups.

As above the SD, 550 and 1050 are all reciprocating primer systems, go back and forth. The 650 is the only rotary one, I do wish the 1050 was rotary too though.