Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Stovepipes

I am getting regular stovepipes out of my stock 2. The spent case is literally laying on top of the next round and not ejecting, aka doesn't really look like your traditional stovepipe. I have changed ejectors. I have crimped my rounds more. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how to fix it. I am shooting minimum power factor 147gr. Over all length is around 1.136 and OD of the crimp on the round is around .372.

I am not limp wristing. Please no silly comments like that.

Thanks in advance for all the help. A lot of knowledge on this forum.

You changed the extractor, not the ejector, I am sure. You probably need to file down the stop pad on the extractor and increase the rake angle on the hook. Maybe put in a stronger extractor spring.

The ejector is part of the sear housing.

I guess I just don't understand why they would make an extractor that would have to be fitted? I bought a factory extractor so I would not have to do any tuning. Is this common that every time you replace the extractor you have to fit it?

Does it happen with other ammo?

If you bump up 5 PF or so does it change anything?

What are you running for a recoil spring?

(Trying to get a feel for how much slide speed your gun has, and looking at potential ways to increase it to test variables other than the extractor.)

I have not tried factory ammo in it yet or bumped up powder for higher power factor. I guess factory ammo would be a good idea to figure out if it is ammo related or gun related.

I am running a 10lb recoil spring.

Also 10# spring is a bit heavy imo.

I use 8#

I run 8# on my Lim Pro and I get the identical problem you are having. The strange part is that when you rack the slide manually, the spent brass cimes out nicely.

I replaced extractor but same result. I suspect it needs extra power extractor spring.

I am guessing the rim of the brass fails to stay hooked when the slide starts to move back. There can be 2 reasons. It's either because the extractor hook let go during recoil due to weak spring, or the slide did not move backwards enough for the ejector to kick the spent brass out. I run 132 PF load with 8# rexoil spring so I don't think the later is the case. I am going to try extra power extractor spring see if it helps.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Justice,

Thanks for the info. I did not change out the extractor spring. That would be a good next step as well.

Strange hearing you describe what is going in with yours. Exact same issue I am having. I cannot recreate when I rack the slide manually.

Please let me know what fixes the issue when you find it. I will definitely be posting the fix to this when I figure it out.

Any other ideas out there? I am open to anything.

Since I have 2 Stock 2s and 1 Lim Pro, and only the Lim Pro has this problem, I plan to swap parts from the S2s until the problem goes away if the xtra power extractor spring does not solve the mystry. Then we would know the true culprit.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I took some pics of the FTF issue. For me, it happens every 150 rounds or so. I also load to 1.135OAL. Again, same ammo runs perfectly fine in 2 other Stock 2s.

What I have done so far:

1. Replaced the extractor

2. Polished breechface

3. Use 8# long slide recoil spring

4. Sand and polish the slide rib front edge

5. Replaced the sear housing with the one in one of the Stock 2s (to exclude problem with ejector)

None of these have helped.

Next steps:

1. Try extra power extractor spring

2. Try fitting the extractor hook

3. Try the extractors from my Stock 2s

post-64017-0-60641200-1466963816_thumb.j

post-64017-0-57364600-1466963821_thumb.j

post-64017-0-23196000-1466963826_thumb.j

Range update:

I started looking through all the spring and whatnot I had received with the gun. Ran across a Wolff Extra Power Extractor Spring that for whatever reason was not installed. Put in the extractor spring and it sent 150 rounds down range with no issue.

I am not about to call it fixed yet but I have high hopes this fixed the problem. I will update once I finish up the rest of the batch of 500 I have made.

Did you notice the xtra power spring is much longer than the one in your gun?

I took apart mine this afternoon, and found something very interesting:

1. The one that comes with the gun has 5.5 coils

2. The factory spring I bought from Ben's shop has 6 coils and slightly longer than the above

3. The extra power spring I bought from Ben's shop has about 1.6 times the length of the factory coil

I am a bit surprise that #1 and #2 above are not identical. For now, I just put in #2 to test, because it is already feels much stronger than the one in the gun.

Another interesting thing I notice, by manually pushing the extractor to test the spring strength, I found that my extractor moves very jaggedly. I looked carefully after taking it off, and found the pin holes of the extractor have a lot of metal burs around the holes, on the inner surface where the extractor moves against the frame. I sanded it down and polished it a bit. Then putting back the spring and extractor, now it moves very smoothly.

Will test it and see if all these help.

Yes! The wolf spring was significantly longer than the one that was in there.

Did not notice any obstructions around where the extractor spring sits or where the extractor rests. I do feel like when I manually eject the round it is smoother with this new spring.

I hope you have the same results! Like I said, not near ready to call it fixed but I have my fingers crossed for the next 500 rounds. If it makes it through all those, I will call it good.

I bought a Stock 3 last week from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop and ordered the upgrade kit that they sell for it at the same time. It included a new extractor spring. My gunsmith installed all the parts before I shot the gun. Shot 120 break in rounds and 150 rounds in my first match 2 days ago. No failures to speak of, knock on wood!

This FTE issue is rather transient in that it shows up every 150 or 200 rounds avg. I looked at my log and found the last FTF I had was 450 rounds ago, but yesterday it happened twice within a 300 round span.

I wouldn't declare it cured until I have shot for 600 rounds without repro.

Edited by JusticeOfToren

I had a similar problem with my.40 Gold Team. It began when I started reloading a new batch of range brass. After checking out everything I could I noticed I had some CBC stamped brass mixed in with Federal, Winchester, and Remington brass. After removing the CBC loaded rounds, I haven't had a jam in 300 rounds.

I had a similar problem with my.40 Gold Team. It began when I started reloading a new batch of range brass. After checking out everything I could I noticed I had some CBC stamped brass mixed in with Federal, Winchester, and Remington brass. After removing the CBC loaded rounds, I haven't had a jam in 300 rounds.

Good info. I also suspected it has something to do with loads, but I have had RP, FC and WIN brass hanging loose in the chamber after being fired. So I have abandoned that theory.

Yes, you may have to fit a new extractor. Same part for multiple case head sizes - the .40 and the 9mm are the same part number. Do a forum search - Nealio did a write up on it I think. Or maybe Atlas - don't remember now for sure who wrote it. That said - I'm a huge fan of minimum required dose - if a stronger/longer spring fixes your wagon - then woot! and carry on...

Alright team. After having 500 rounds successfully fired, I am calling this tanfo fixed! Justice wins the contest by suggesting I swap the extractor spring with the wolf extra power spring! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments.

Edited by ngodwetrust21

• 3 weeks later...