Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Stovepipes

A while back you mentioned running 10# recoil spring... Did u end up trying another weight?

I had a 9 in mine for a bit, tried and 8 and a 6 today after hearing that Henning and few others go that low...

An 8 seems to run my gun fine for me, a 6 felt slow as I could feel a dragging sensation on the slide and it returned at an odd time which made me lift and dip the gun oddly.

Maybe a 10# is too fast for the PF of your ammo? Dunno for sure, but recoil springs are a relatively cheap option to test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you take out the extractor and clean it between every 300 - 400 rounds? It gets very dirty behind the extractor and if you are going into the 700 rounds without cleaning that could be an issue there.

Here is what I have done to stop the stovepipes. My gun has made it through 6 or 7 matches without issue.

10lbs recoil spring

Stock extractor spring

Polish barrel chamber

Win and RP brass and tumble after its loaded.

Wipe rounds down with silicone gun rag

Go through gun and deburr everything really well

I made similar changes and it's been 2k rounds since my last stove pipe:

1. 8 lbs recoil spring (switched from 10 lbs)

2. Replaced the stock extractor spring on the gun with "factory extractor spring" bought from BSPS - note, the one bought from BSPS is slightly longer than the stock one that comes with gun

3. Polished breech face and the front slide rib to mirror finish

4. Removed some small burr on the frame and slide, especially the burrs inside the cave around the extractor roll pin holes

4. Use only big name brass, such as WIN, RP, FC etc.

5. Continue using OneShot lube, but now I wipe all loaded rounds with cotton rag (used to be that I just wipe the rounds that are for matches)

IMO, I think what really mattered were the highlighted parts. Hope this helps others. Good luck!

Just when I thought it's fixed.... in the most recent range trip I had 2 FTFs in 300 rounds. Exactly same behavior.

Next to do:

1. Replace the factory extractor spring with extra power one

2. Follow the guides to fit the extractor itself

BTW - this is already the new extractor marked with "9". It's puzzling why Tanfo makes defective extractors at all that require owners to fit themselves.

Anyone else agree with the 10# recoil spring is too heavy for minimum PF? I was thinking this could be part of the issue as well.

Help!

I run a 10# recoil spring when I went lighter I had feeding issues at about 133pf

Clean the extractor and mags thoroughly. Also check your ejector.

On this Limited Pro, I am currently running the sear assembly from a Stock 2 that has never had FTF issues.

This excludes ejector as a cause.

I put on extra power extractor spring see if it helps.

Anyone else agree with the 10# recoil spring is too heavy for minimum PF? I was thinking this could be part of the issue as well.

Help!

I run a 10# recoil spring when I went lighter I had feeding issues at about 133pf

I don't mean to go too off topic...

What problems did you all see with too heavy or too light a recoil spring? I dropped down to an 8 and had 2 failure into battery issues out of maybe 300 rounds yesterday... Had to push the slide forward with my shooting thumb...

Should I jump up to a 9lb? Or add .1g to my loads? Already at 131pf

I just wanted to add my recent experience with this issue.

One of my "new model" Lim Pros had maybe 500 rounds thru it when at a local match I had 2 FTE within 100 from each other. This was the first time it had happened to this gun. I polished the breach face and installed an "extra power" extractor spring. I've shot 700 rounds thru the gun since without issues. The gun runs a 10# recoil spring and was bought new a few months ago.

Edited by SpaceFlunky

I just wanted to add my recent experience with this issue.

One of my "new model" Lim Pros had maybe 500 rounds thru it when at a local match I had 2 FTE within 100 from each other. This was the first time it had happened to this gun. I polished the breach face and installed an "extra power" extractor spring. I've shot 700 rounds thru the gun since without issues. The gun runs a 10# recoil spring and was bought new a few months ago.

Another 400 rounds over the weekend and ZERO extraction malfunctions.

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I would give you all an update on this. I sent the pistol off to EAA on Thursday. I am tired of trying to figure this out. In reading through threads going back to 2011 on this site, I have not been the only one knocking my head against the wall trying to figure this out. One of the guys sent it off to EAA and they sent it back fixed. This is a last ditch effort. I will let you know what they have to say and if they are able to fix it or not. If not, you all can look for it in the classified section.

End rant...

BTW - RussellM - Really enjoyed shooting with you at nationals! I am going to have to step up my practice after seeing you shoot.

-Andy

Edited by ngodwetrust21