Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indexing from the draw problems

3djedi

When I draw my sti 2011 style gun the sights seem to come up misaligned frequently. I've tried different grips (reduced and undercut plastic grip and a CK steel grip) but same issue. I've tried adjusting my safari land race holster to different angles but doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone else had this issue with a 2011? Is it possible that a 2011 grip just doesn't fit my hand properly?

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think you need to be harder on yourself in dry fire. When you move the gun to a new target and it stops the sights should be directly aligned. Every time. It certainly is not the gun or holster angle at fault here.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I think you need to be harder on yourself in dry fire. When you move the gun to a new target and it stops the sights should be directly aligned. Every time. It certainly is not the gun or holster angle at fault here.

Target to target transition index is fine. It's just on the initial draw. The sights are misaligned slightly.

I would slow down the dry fire. You aren't going to be able to get a proper grip at the same speed on the new platform if you have been shooting a Glock for years. Get to know what a proper grip feels like when the sites are aligned and practice just grabbing the gun. Do that like a 1000 times and your sites will align on the draw.

Target to target transition index is fine. It's just on the initial draw. The sights are misaligned slightly.

You move the gun to a new target when you draw. It still applies. It's something you are doing. Do some draws, make minor corrections until everything lines up correctly, then hold those corrections as you speed up.

I don't have a ton of success by moving super slow. If I was having an issue with indexing on my draw, I'd do a draw at probably 75% speed with my eyes closed and when I open my eyes take note of what the sights look like. Then I'll reholster and draw at the same speed with eyes closed trying to adjust that finishing position so that when I open my eyes everything is aligned. When everything is humming along nicely, I speed up and try to maintain the result.

I dry fired tonight without a timer and guess what? Probably 95% perfect indexing. I think I've been chasing the par-time so long that I'm tense and rushing constantly. I wasn't going 100% speed either. I started just trying to relax and just focusing on technique and a good grip at maybe 75% speed as Jake Da Vita suggested. I pushed it up to 90% (still without the timer) and no problems.

I learned a valuable lesson that chasing extreme speed dry-fire par times is not always productive. Sometimes practice without the timer is good. Or maybe use the start beep but skip the par-time. Thanks guys!