Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI 5.4" vs 6" barrel for Limited gun

tanks

I have a 6" Edge and it is HEAVY! the slide has been lightened to weigh the same as a standard 5" Unique slide but the frame is a lot of weight at the end of the gun. It shoots nice but I find I transition from target to target slower than my 5" guns. In hind sight I would have done the 6" on a short frame.

One of my friends went the opposite direction, a full 6" with bull barrel and no slide lightening.. He claims his double taps are faster and he is more accurate with the longer sight radius. All that may be true, but when you handle it you feel as if you are swinging a log. Since I use my pistols for more than just USPSA Limited competitions, I prefer faster (much) handling.

I have had most configuration and it really does boil down to personal preference and just learning the timing of the gun once you choose. Aesthetically I think the 5.4 is the best looking of the bunch, but cost can be a factor as the 5.4 is generally the most expensive option from most manufacturers as you traditionally pay for the more expensive 6" parts and the labor to lighten and adapt them to the 5.4/5.5. Not sure if it's the case with SV as they produce their parts in house.