Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 Legion SAO

BASE772

So after owning my 226 Legion SAO for a couple weeks and putting almost 900 rounds through it so far, I feel this gun deserves its own thread.

Wow! What a spectacular gun! I have owned a P226 DA/SA all stainless and currently have a 229 Legion also.

To me the 226 SAO Legion with the flat trigger feels like a totally different gun than the DA/SA 226. With the trigger breaking farther forward and riding the thumb safety seems to make a huge difference with me. My double taps on steel are better than with my CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom. And the weight of the 226 seems perfect. The natural point of aim fits me perfect too.

It really kind of sucks this gun is not Production legal. I don't see any huge advantage with the SAO over a 320 or any other striker fired gun that has had trigger work. (On a side note I've put over 10,000 rounds through a FS 320. I like the 226 Legion SAO better.)

The only thing I would probably change is the sights. On full targets and steel the X-Ray sights are great.

But I feel with my aging eyes a smaller FO front sight would work better for targets with hard cover or no-shoots.

Anyone else totally impressed the the P226 Legion SAO.

I can only hope that the P320 Target model with the flat trigger and hopefully and added 4 or 5 ounces feels like this gun.

Shot mine for the first time in a USPSA match yesterday. Performed flawlessly. Really a great gun.

I shot a local match with mine today in Limited minor for fun. Pulled third out of twentyfive Limited shooters.

If it was Production legal I'd sell my CZ's in a heartbeat.

But one thing is for sure. The 226 Legion SAO is the most awesome nightstand gun ever. :)

Shot mine for the first time in a USPSA match yesterday. Performed flawlessly. Really a great gun.

I shot a local match with mine today in Limited minor for fun. Pulled third out of twentyfive Limited shooters.

If it was Production legal I'd sell my CZ's in a heartbeat.

But one thing is for sure. The 226 Legion SAO is the most awesome nightstand gun ever. :)

Yes it is. I think I'm going to throw a light on mine just for that very thing.

Edited by RDT806

The the comp has been a multi year thought/design exercise. The one you see in the picture is version #6.

The magwell is one of the magwells I designed and made for the X5.

I plan on a duel sided upright mount for a RTS2 or Romeo 3.

Edited by staudacher

This is a work in progress. I still have to make the optic mount. Eventually I plan on this being a steel challenge open gun.

DFACB75E-34CC-4BAD-BF4C-ADAA80EA21FC_zps

That is very nice! Would love to see some video of it firing.

I'm super impress with the recoil without a comp.

I thought about clamping to the rail but my experience with the X5 bridge mount was not good. The mount was not very ridged and did not hold well enough for precise zero. Mainly because it did not fit tight. If it were hand fitted I think a rail mount is a legitimate option and I may well end up going that route. But at the moment I am leaning towards a mount attached via screws to the frame.

How would you compare the the SAO triggers between an X-Five and the 226 Legion SAO?

Both of my Legion SAOs had a better trigger out of the box than the X5E. The reset on the my Legion trigger is slightly more positive and the break feels a bit cleaner. The break on my X5E is a bit vague compared to the Legions.

I only have the one new style X5 to compare so I can't say if my X5E is typical for all the new style X5s. I have heard the trigger on the higher end new X5s is much better.

All of my older style X5s have been gone through by GGI so it has been a while since I shot a stock trigger older X5 but the best I can remember I would say the Legions are comparable to what the older X5s were out of the box. The only X5 that I have experience with that stands out in my mind has having a significantly better trigger feel out of the box than the Legion was the L1.

How would you compare the the SAO triggers between an X-Five and the 226 Legion SAO?

Both of my Legion SAOs had a better trigger out of the box than the X5E. The reset on the my Legion trigger is slightly more positive and the break feels a bit cleaner. The break on my X5E is a bit vague compared to the Legions.

I only have the one new style X5 to compare so I can't say if my X5E is typical for all the new style X5s. I have heard the trigger on the higher end new X5s is much better.

All of my older style X5s have been gone through by GGI so it has been a while since I shot a stock trigger older X5 but the best I can remember I would say the Legions are comparable to what the older X5s were out of the box. The only X5 that I have experience with that stands out in my mind has having a significantly better trigger feel out of the box than the Legion was the L1.

I love the trigger on my Legion but have never shot an X-Five. It's a way better gun than I ever expected.

Thanks for the info.

Legion with minor comp and American Eagle 124gr ammo. Stock spring. Note: with the stock spring it rarely cycles clean. Usually it stovepipes. This video is one of the rare times it ejected cleanly.

Edited by staudacher