Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

build open 9x19 major

alfa75

will start on limited custom, buy 6 "barrel and 3 holds compensator, can this be done and is there anyone who has experience who will share

is there anything I should be aware? Can the gun resist the pressure from major min.165 without breakage

is there anyone with experience shooting 9x19 major

post-64079-0-59885400-1465922020_thumb.j

Edited by alfa75

You're definitely on the right track :cheers:
Just get a 6" barrel, cut it to length, thread it M15x0.75 (you can get dies on Ebay for cheap), install the factory three port cone comp (available at EG's webstore), install an optic and you're off to the races with a basic Open gun:

IMG_20160501_215607_zps4icyhtpy.jpg

I used metal epoxy, a longer screw and ground the front sight off for a clean look:

IMG_20160501_215017393_zpsrcmfizsj.jpg

From that point you can start drilling holes in the barrel, cutting weight from the slide/frame and increasing stroke to your liking:

_20151107_092416_zps0uvx3wkv.jpg

will start on limited custom, buy 6 "barrel and 3 holds compensator, can this be done and is there anyone who has experience who will share

is there anything I should be aware? Can the gun resist the pressure from major min.165 without breakage

is there anyone with experience shooting 9x19 major

111.jpg

I'm assuming from your syntax and also from the fact that major is 165 for you... that you're located outside of the USA and will be shooting IPSC, correct?

That affects which parts people recommend for trigger work - at least in Production. I'm not certain it matters in Open if you use factory internals or not - I do not think so.

The three holes are 4mm and angled rearward at ten degrees to mitigate muzzle rise as well as the straight back push of the recoil. That three port comp came on the factory V8 Gold Team with eight holes of the same size in a V shape. At the moment a friend has that barrel and will drill an additional two holes for a total of five straight up.

I shoot Major with a 115gr bullet (min for USPSA is 112 as opposed to 120 for IPSC) and 9.3-9.5gr of SP2.

Right now just the 3 port comp no holes.

I use a 7lb for minor loads and a 9lb for major. At least I did in the same gun shooting super I just got the 9 setup so haven't done any testing.

Autocomp and 124 grain is the plan ,not sure on the exact load yet. may switch to 115 if I need more gas and then add ports if im still not happy. It does run with the 7lb spring and my production load 3.5 n310 with a 124 at 1.145 it's not as flat as slow powder would be but it's very soft.

Garmil

I shoot standard now and load with swiss rs12 powder 4,1gn 125gn tota llength of 28.6mm flat nose and chron to 132 pf.

5 pieces. 25 m holder into ø3 cm, shoot on the pillow

almost no existing recoil :D

Edited by alfa75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a Limited in 9mm that I would like to convert to an open gun, I know I can order the comp from EG but where can I get the longer cone barrel that will fit in the limited slide?

Thanks

You will actually be using a straight barrel, and not a Limited cone shape one.

The 3 port EG compensator is a Cone/ Comp in one piece, which will screw onto the end of a straight barrel,

with a M15 X 0.75 thread pitch, and take up the space in the opening of the Limited slide.

• 1 month later...

kneelingatlas

I'm going to drill a hole in the top of the barrel, can I self drill it home? and 10 degrees must point towards the end of barrel?

can anyone tell how much I should start with gunpowder for 9mm major?

I have N340 and 3n38 magtech SPP:bow:

Do you have a drill press with a good vise? You should be able to drill clean holes, just don't drill through the bottom of the barrel.  The 10 degree tilt is not critical and could be hard to get right at home.  Pointing towards the end of the barrel?  Yes, that's the direction I've done.

9gr of 3N38 under a 115 is a good place to start.