Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double stack questions

1911vm

My and goal is to use it for 3 gun and IDPA . Myou plan is to take slide of my 1911 and fit it to a double stack. I will need to get 10 round mags for what ever is get.

1st questions STI or Caspian and why?

2nd does any of it make sense ? Thanks

Have a several double stacks . I do not have a 1911 style double stack. But I think you are correct. I am going to order a ice Magwell from Dawson tomorrow and FO sights and a few mags and call it good to go"

1911vm, the basic difference is in the frame. The Caspian HiCap frame is the same width (give or take a smidge) as a 1911 frame. It is slightly less wide if you use just the grip tape, and a smidge wider if you use the thin grips. The MSH, GS and Ambi safeties, mag release and trigger are all unique to the frame, so you cannot "upgrade". The downside to the thin grip is you have to use modified Tanfoglio mags and give up capacity. Do a search on these forums and you can read about all the horror stories about how difficult it is to get the mags to run. See post above for a case in point. All that being said, you can build a Caspian HiCap for significantly less than a metal grip 2011.

Honestly after all the reading and research. I think when I get all the funds ready I am going to go with a custom CZ SAO for the same or less thand a custom Caspian or a basic 2011.

1911vm, I'm not trying to talk you out of that decision, but I would think long and hard about it. You say you want to use this gun for 3-gun and IDPA. You already have several double stacks, but not a 1911 format double stack. CZs are nice, but limiting. You have very limited upgrade options, and the choice of parts is quite small. Also, a CZ is never going to be as accurate as a good 1911/2011.

I have a CZ TS that I bought from the Custom Shop. I love the pistol. It came from CZC super tight and all I had to do to it was add a fourth mag, extended base pads and a full length guide rod. I did eventually go with a Dawson FO front sight. It is superbly accurate for a CZ.

My 2011 is also custom. It is a tack driver. It will shoot groups at 25 yards that the TS could not even dream of at 15. Plus there is a bazillion aftermarket parts available for the 2011 platform, and thousands of good smiths to work on them if you don't want to do it yourself. Do yourself a favor and at least shoot a bunch of 2011s before you make the call. As much as I love my CZ, the 2011 is a different animal altogether.

I would love to try a2011 but I do not know anyone that has one. I love 1911 platform. If I could get in to 2011 at around 1500 I would go for it even without trying it first. But it seems everything that is worth looking at is 2k and up. On top I live in a stupid state where I would need to find 10round mags in addition to the gunsmith. That's it is am going to buy lottery ticket.

my original question was about building one. I have two 9mm 1911 that is why I was considering using the slide of one of one off them. I did quick math an it seems that for just around 1000 I can get the lower , miss parts and labor. does this make sense to do?

Edited by 1911vm

I did it, except I went the other way. I had a 2011 in 9mm that I shot 3-gun with, but also wanted a 9mm 1911 to shoot Single Stack-minor. So I bought a 1911 frame and all the internals and took them to my gunsmith. He fit the 1911 frame to the slide (as opposed to fitting the slide to the frame) so the 9mm slide fits on the 2011's and the new 1911's frame. I shoot more USPSA than 3-gun, but for the times I need a 2011 9mm, all I gots to do is pop the slide stop out and switch frames.

Cost-wise, its parts plus whatever your GS charges.

• 3 months later...