Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140 mm mags messing up

shooterclay

First time this has ever happened to me, during a match sat. My open gun mag spring was hung up and the follower was stuck at the bottom of the mag. This happened to 2 140 mm mags. Rounds were getting under the follower. What's wrong, needs new spring, follower?

Your prob. right, I put 25 rounds in it during the match, but when I practice I usually just put 20 in. After each stage it messed up when I picked up the mag, there were 1-2 rounds stuck under the follower.

Since it's an open gun I figure it's either 9mm or 38s/sc. What is happening is one of two things or both. Interior dimension between the control ribs that go up each side of the mag needs to be between .730-.765. Any wider and you have too much room for those calibers to stack correctly. 2nd is you need to smooth out the transition of those control ribs at the bottom of the tube. Sand smooth or compress smooth, depending on what tools you have. Take care of those two things before you get new springs and/or followers and then see how they work.

Good luck

The first 800 rounds without a hicup, then this weekend both 140's crap put. I don't think the diameter has changed. I think I stuffed to many in there, weak springs, worn follower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hello: If you are getting 25 rounds in an STI 140mm mag then you must have a long base pad that is allowing the follower to go to far past the ribs in the tube. If so then you could try some Dawson followers or extend the ribs all the way to the bottom by welding the inside. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Looks like a Grams 11mm base pad to me with Grams spring and follower. Shooters Connection will have all your needs and wants. I would use either Grams 4mm base pad or Dawson "SNL" base pads. Spring and followers is up to you but Grams will work fine as well as Dawson follower with ISMI springs. Your base pad is too long and is allowing the rounds to go beyond the ribs. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

You can put a aredondo insert in your mag this filles up the space under the ribs , works great with extended basepads .

25 reloadable in my sti 140 tubes with arredondo basepads and inserts .

Yep it does , i use them in three of my 140 tubes in 9 major ( you need the 38 super set )only you have to make sure your spacer is fixed in your tube .

So he can't work his way down into the extended base pad.

I " bolted" my metal spacers in , drilled and tapped the spacer .

post-42245-0-07369300-1465821119_thumb.j

Edited by Tino2212

The 11mm pad works fine with that setup. If you push too hard to get 25 every time, the follower will bend the spring to one side and over time, that will cause the follower to allow a round to get underneath or just plain lock the magazine up. Those springs were fairly new when you got the gun, but running that pad with a standard 11-coil spring and filling it to capacity will cause headaches about every 6-months. Just grab you some TTI 11-coil springs for 9mm and just remember to swap em out about every 25th load or so (when loading to capacity). They will make it a long time if you stick to 23 rounds or so...