Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decent plinking ammo

RAZZ

I was just wondering if I could get some advice on some practice 223 ammo. I put a case of WOLF through my Bushmaster with no problems at all, but that was before I heard all of the nasty things about the laquer finish doing bad things to rifles. The cost is appealing, but I dont want to ruin my AR. Any suggestions for inexpensive plinking ammo?

I don't think the Wolf stuff will actually ruin anything...it will just gum up your rifle sooner than non-laquered ammo would.  

That said, decent ammo is available for not too much more.  S&B is good.  Most military surplus stuff should be fine as well.

Semper fi,

DogmaDog

Hey Guys:

BEWARE!!! S&B has blown up two rifles that I have been present to see, and one I heared about from very reliable sourses!!! And it was not just one lot. One was fairly mild and only cost an extractor to fix and a new magazine. The other sprung the lower reciever blew the bolt in two pieces and destroyed the extractor and mag. $250 got the rifle running again and we were very lucky to save the lower. The third rifle was a catastophic failure and a total loss, I did get to see the box o junk. The good news is that no one was hurt and S&B was very happy to replace the ammo at no cost except it was with more S&B. They did pay for the repairs to my friends rifle, I don't know about the third. BE CAREFUL    KURT

Winchester Q3131 or Q3131A. $180/K from Midway, probably cheaper elsewhere. Closest thing you can get to The Real Deal NATO ammo, a flat-shooting 3300 fps from a 20" bbl. It won't group like MatchKings but it will shoot minute-of-steel-plate at 200 m.

The Federal-labeled Lake City XM193 is supposedly very good. I saw somebody with some Federal American Eagle at a recent rifle class who had a round with a backward primer. :( The S&B might be be verboten at no-steel-ammo ranges. It doesn't have a steel core or penetrator, but the jacket is copper-washed steel.

Have had bad experience w/ Botach as have others - see http://www.glocktalk.com under "Smart Shopper" forum. Agree that South African PMP and Military Surplus are both good - expect the mil spec stuff to have crimped primers.  Thats it for 55 grn stuff - for SS109, IMI is one of the best deals out there & is a good balance between price and accuracy - for me anyway. You decide what works in your rifle. What rifle are you shooting? Bushmaster? Which one?

I'm shooting a Bushmaster Dissapator--16" bbl with full length handguards. Just playin' around...Maybe some local 3 gun. I have been picking up WIN. white box 40 round  packs (usa2231vp) at Wal Mart for around $7.50 per box of 40. I assume they are identical to the Q or QA rounds. The cost is easier to absorb ( I toss a box in the cart whenever we are walking around getting the petty non-essentials, like soap etc.) then ordering a case outright, although I know its more expensive in the long run.

I live in an area where there is a (re)manufacturer of ammo.  I believe he has both licenses.  I buy directly from him.  He has a minimum order of 1K but he will split that between rifle and pistol if requested.  ($150/k).  He knocks the price down if you supply him with componets e.g. brass, bullets, etc.

When I shoot in LA, I have a guy there who is a re-manufacturer license who will load for me.  So I have to supply him with the brass.

Sorry I droned on like that:

You might want to check your state for folks that do the same.  It is cheaper and you can often specify load characteristics.

Let's see. In my experience:

I had such bad luck with different batches of Win Q3131 that I will never buy it again (did not cycle action, rounds did not extract, rounds hung on the extracter and did not eject). IMI is good but sometimes the OAL is a bit long for the plastic mags (Thermold, Orlite); works great in GI mags. American Eagle and South African surplus and Miwall re-loads are fine; Miwall is a manufacturer/distributer in California.

My definition of goodness with this class of ammo has more to do with reliability and functioning, rather than long-range accuracy. However, accuracy issues with these are more due to the guy pulling the trigger (me) rather than the ammo.

I have seen enough people with Wolf problems that I will not use it. To be fair, once I saw someone have trouble with Wolf in a Mini-14. Turns out it was not the .223 (5.56) Wolf, he accidently bought 5.45x39. Scary part: he did get a few rounds off but they would not cycle.

By the way, my lone experience with Botach was very positive. My order showed up in like 3 days. YMMV.

Lee

Commercial reloading kind of stinks for everyone, first ammo is so cheap in most places you can't make a profit as the re-manufacturer. Then for the shooter, not usually as high quality as some factory, and not virgin components. Then you can buy the reloading equipment (dillon 650 for the price of a few thousand rounds, and reload your own and its cheaper than the re-manufacturer with normally tigher quality control. <depending on you>

I use S&B and Winchester Q3131A also, have shot PMP,and some American Eagle.. mostly too lazy to reload 223's my self