Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Tactical - Not Competitive?

akeefer

Hey all,

Considering a local deal on an SP-01 Tactical. I understand the firing pin block is on this model, but for an affordable shooter to do some light USPSA style shooting, would this be an ok model? Not really in the budget to go all out right now, so this one is tempting. Local deal seems to be a good price.

If I did get it, what would be the first upgrades to be a little more competitive? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

What's a good price? You should be able to find a used manual safety model for ~$600 with is much more USPSA upgrade friendly. I'm not sure anyone makes a Production legal race hammer for the decocker models, but you could still polish and change springs.

That's a good price.

I know CZ Custom sells a decocker competition hammer (I put one on my P-01) which will crispen the Single Action. If you do the upgrades yourself, the decocker models are more complicated (mainly the sear cage is a challenge), but you can do the simple spring change (main/hammer spring) very easily.

I like the decocker models since the trigger is slightly more rearward (at least where the spring tension starts) for the Double Action. And it's easy to decock the hammer to a Make Ready position with the lever.

Here's a good picture-filled thread on upgrades to a SP-01 Tactical: http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=42855&page=3

Edited by IronicTwitch

I have the Cajun Gun Works SP-01 Tactical with all the goodness. It is a very competitive gun. I would change the sights to fiber optic front and blade rear as suggested and then shoot it, a lot. With only $450 into it you can put some Cajun fun into it and have an awesome shooting SP-01 for half of what I paid.

Being competitive with it will only depend on your dedication to shooting it. The pistol will not be a limiting factor, IMHO.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Yes it will be competitive! I would to the following in order:

1. Trigger job

2. MS, FPS, TRS, FPBS. MS 11 or 8 lb from CGW. FPS reduced power. FPBS trim to reduce pressure needed to move the block. TRS reduce force. R&R firing pin with extended length pin.

3. Polish critical parts and places on the insides

4. Competition sights - either fixed or adjustable. If you like sights it came with keep them.

5. R&R hammer with competition model. (Optiona)

6. Lighten mag release spring

No a lot of $ in these.

I have the Cajun Gun Works SP-01 Tactical with all the goodness. It is a very competitive gun. I would change the sights to fiber optic front and blade rear as suggested and then shoot it, a lot. With only $450 into it you can put some Cajun fun into it and have an awesome shooting SP-01 for half of what I paid.

Being competitive with it will only depend on your dedication to shooting it. The pistol will not be a limiting factor, IMHO.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I've seen this guy and his gun shoot, and it's easily competitive. Beats me most of the time with my Tanfo S2.

Sweet guys! I bought it! Got some sweet golf ball VZ grips too! Super excited, not my first CZ or my first CGW parts install, but just need to control my budget and go one at a time. What would be best to start with???

Thanks!!

Aaron

CZ Custom has a Competition hammer that is legal and i believe CGW does also. This was my first gun when i started competitive shooting. My son is using it now for USPSA Production and 3Gun. He doesnt like manually lowering the hammer on my Shadow. But the trigger work was done by Angus 6+ years ago. Single action is nice, need to change out the hammer spring for better DA.

BGC

What's a good price? You should be able to find a used manual safety model for ~$600 with is much more USPSA upgrade friendly. I'm not sure anyone makes a Production legal race hammer for the decocker models, but you could still polish and change springs.

I would honestly change out the sights first. Then polish everything. Then figure out which grips work best for you. Go ahead and order the RP TRS and the floating pin from Cajun, or just go the CZC route for a better reset.

Next, The SRS-1 or SRS-2 kit (depending if you want an 11 & 13 # MS) will help. your DIY polish will help. If you're going to fully cajun it with the Disconnector. if you don't want to go that route, the CZC extended pin, main spring, recoil spring are a better bargain. The lightened mainspring will make your single action lighten up a good bit, not comp hammer good, but pretty good.

Then maybe start thinking about a hammer / hammer kit / disco (if you went SRS1-SRS2). Can't use the disco or the SRS kit if you want to stay IPSC legal (or the adjustable sear for that matter)