Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

two identical guns, one dirtier than the other?

RickT

Wife and I have identical SA 9mm 1911s. Both have seen 30K+ rounds. Both are near flawless. My reloads are sub-bottom end 3.6 or 3.7gr N320 behind 115gr coated lead. Now this load is going to be dirty, but my wife's gun is always dirtier than mine after a practice session (300+ rounds). Wife may shoot a few more rounds. I one chamber tighter than the other, one throat longer? Not a big deal since both guns run fine, but it's driving me kind of nuts. BTW, I am the designated gun cleaner, reloader, etc.

Well if you're the designated cleaner then that blows my first thought out of the water, which was that she is using more lube and it's holding more carbon/soot. other than that it has to be just a burn thing, her's isn't burning off as much powder as yours. minute differences in the barrel and chamber?

Red

Wife and I have identical SA 9mm 1911s. Both have seen 30K+ rounds. Both are near flawless. My reloads are sub-bottom end 3.6 or 3.7gr N320 behind 115gr coated lead. Now this load is going to be dirty, but my wife's gun is always dirtier than mine after a practice session (300+ rounds). Wife may shoot a few more rounds. I one chamber tighter than the other, one throat longer? Not a big deal since both guns run fine, but it's driving me kind of nuts. BTW, I am the designated gun cleaner, reloader, etc.

Could you swap the barrels? This should solve the chamber/throat question.

weight of shooter?

not really asking personal question here,

just thinking if there is a lot of difference between you,

that movement in the recoil might make a difference.

frankly, I would think the wife lighter and her gun cleaner...

bullet loiters a bit longer and so a bit more time+pressure

for a cleaner burn.

your post says the reverse....

miranda

• 3 weeks later...