Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Copper plated steel cases

johnbu

Picked up brass after a match, tumbled quick and started reloading. Noticed one looked a bit dull, but just looked tarnished. Decap pin wasn't happy,

20160603_101512_zpsl8z0jj1o.jpg

There were two hiding.

20160603_101908_zpsle2443od.jpg

They are magnetic ...

20160603_102009_zpssngziind.jpg

I normally find the S+B ones about half way through the sizing die. I hate to admit I usually just keep going and they load just fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I initially fired a few while loading minor but since all I load now is 9MAJOR, a magnet is always nearby

I normally find the S+B ones about half way through the sizing die. I hate to admit I usually just keep going and they load just fine

Not these. They had the other type primer holes [shown on picture] so they didnt deprime...just bent the pin. Hate that! Had to remove, fix and reset everything. Lee loadmasters running good are not wise to mess with them.

Not these. They had the other type primer holes [shown on picture] so they didnt deprime...just bent the pin. Hate that! Had to remove, fix and reset everything. Lee loadmasters running good are not wise to mess with them.
LEE dies? If so I try to keep the collet loose enough to prevent bending the pin. I went through a bunch recently by just being too stubborn to adjust

LEE dies? If so I try to keep the collet loose enough to prevent bending the pin. I went through a bunch recently by just being too stubborn to adjust
You!? Stubborn!? I don't believe it...

You!? Stubborn!? I don't believe it...

You have to make allowances. Remember....he's on drugs right now. :devil:

Problem is not steel cases, it's the berdan primer pocket. During WWII they made thousands of .45ACP cases out of steel and I found a pretty good number of them still around. They reloaded just fine (do not know what kind of steel but it was magnetic). The case life was about 30% shorter, but still got about 3 reloads out of them. The good news is that they do rust so if left on the range they eventually go back to iron oxide.