Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 Pf with 40 Cal edge?

DocMedic

I'm thinking of using my STI edge for resurgence 3 gun, but I need to get PF to 180. The guns pretty stock with recoil master, first off what do people recommend for bullet weight and powder, and second, can this gun take that type of abuse. I don't want to blow up / break my gun.

I can't answer your question entirely. But, I shoot with someone using a DVC and factory ammo. That combo is usually high 170s, low 180s. I believe it has been 165 gr, but I could be wrong.

For a few hundred rounds it shouldn't be horrible. Neither you or the pistol would like it long term.

Might just look to home defense ammo rather than screw with reloading?

If I was going to reload I would think lighter bullets faster. But that's just a working theory.

My .40 load hits 180 pf in my P16-40. I'm using 180gr lead in front of Unique, 1.125" COAL. Not bad recoil or noise wise. Especially after I swapped out the 20# recoil spring for a 16# spring (don't ask).

Winchester white box is just about 180 pf (advertised fps)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900536440/winchester-usa-ammunition-40-s-and-w-180-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I don't think 180pf is anything to be afraid of. I wouldn't shoot a 1000 rounds with a light recoil spring just for wear and tear on slide and frame. But other than that rock out.

If you are loading your own, I would use whatever bullets you already use and bump the powder a bit, I can't imagine you would need a whole lot more to get to 180 if you are already loading to major with a cushion

When the power factor was 175 for major, we shot tens and tens of thousands of 180+ PF ammo through our limited guns. They held up just fine - we even used lighter springs (12-14 lb was common). We used a 180g bullet over Clays, but that was only loaded long in a barrel with a significant leed. For a safer load, a 180g bullet over Tightgroup or VVN320 would be good.

Edited by olemiss

Most 40 cal factory ammo is close to 180 pf. You should be totally fine but pay attention to where your brass is landing. If its landing 10 or 15 feet away, id go with a heavier recoil spring.

I tested american eagle ammo and it was a 187pf.

Edited by Bullets

I'm thinking of using my STI edge for resurgence 3 gun, but I need to get PF to 180. The guns pretty stock with recoil master, first off what do people recommend for bullet weight and powder, and second, can this gun take that type of abuse. I don't want to blow up / break my gun.

Is 180 the min PF ???

When the power factor was 175 for major, we shot tens and tens of thousands of 180+ PF ammo through our limited guns. They held up just fine - we even used lighter springs (12-14 lb was common). We used a 180g bullet over Clays, but that was only loaded long in a barrel with a significant leed. For a safer load, a 180g bullet over Tightgroup or VVN320 would be good.