Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW Dawson sights - shooting high

LeviSS

I put the set of Dawson's from CGW on my SP-01.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/ezd-9-40-for-9mm-and-40-sw/

I'm shooting 2.5-3"high at 20yds with 147gr loads. I've been putting up with it for a while, but I'm tired of having to adjust for it, so I'm looking for a new, taller front sight.

I'm using the Dawson sight calculator to try to figure out what I need. I'm measuring the CGW front sight at 0.20" from the top of the slide.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Does that sound right?

Anyone have to put a taller sight on with this set?

-

Edited by LeviSS

147gr always shoot higher, the slower bullet stays in the barrel longer so it is picking up the muzzle rise ever so slightly causing it to shoot higher.

I have at least 5 different height fron sights for the different bullets and powders I have played with.

Funny, I have the same issue with 147 hitting high and 124 POA/POI,.... What is strange is I tried some 145's and they are POA/POI as well.

I tried 147 plated and coated and they are all about 2" high as well.

Most of the ones I have installed have a .170" tall front sight (as advertised) measured from the top of the slide. So far I have replaced them with a .185" tall front for 147's and it has worked out perfect. Depending on the depth of the front sight dove tail your mileage may vary.

Why not just get adjustable sights and zero the gun for point of aim at your desired distance

Because getting the slide machined for LPA sights is a pain, and I'm not thrilled about the available lpa sights.

Also adjustables will break.

Fixed sights are harder to get a perfect zero for, but once you are happy they are basically permanent. Dawson precision will make custom sizes for $10, I'm the guy who paid to get a .205 tall by .090 wide sight built.

The real advantage of adjustables is if you change loads often.

This wouldn't work?

http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/rear-sights/sp01-shadow-75-shadow-rear-sights/zdl-shadow-adjust-rear-sight.html

"Shadow Adjustable Rear Sight
Fits the SP01 Shadow and 75 Shadow rear sight dovetail. Adjustable for windage and elevation.

This is an UPGRADED version of the sight sold on the CZ UB web site.
We contracted with the manufacturer to be the supplier for the USA and has Several Substantial change made to this sight.
We added set screw, different elevation screw and a stronger more reliable pivot pin.

This is the same sight we use on the SP01 Shadow 2 as sold by CZ USA distributors.
Requires a 7.5mm Front sight."

Personally I've never liked the sight height guessing game so I just get an adjustable rear, zero, and move on - but hey, as long as you're zeroed! :)

This wouldn't work?

http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/front-and-rear-sights/rear-sights/sp01-shadow-75-shadow-rear-sights/zdl-shadow-adjust-rear-sight.html

"Shadow Adjustable Rear Sight

Fits the SP01 Shadow and 75 Shadow rear sight dovetail. Adjustable for windage and elevation.

This is an UPGRADED version of the sight sold on the CZ UB web site.

We contracted with the manufacturer to be the supplier for the USA and has Several Substantial change made to this sight.

We added set screw, different elevation screw and a stronger more reliable pivot pin.

This is the same sight we use on the SP01 Shadow 2 as sold by CZ USA distributors.

Requires a 7.5mm Front sight."

Personally I've never liked the sight height guessing game so I just get an adjustable rear, zero, and move on - but hey, as long as you're zeroed! :)

Different dovetail on the shadow than on the SP-01. That sight doesn't fit the standard (non shadow) SP-01 dovetail.

The front sight of the CGW set is a .195 tall Dawson. I'd try the .215 for 147 grain loads.

The .205 is what I'm using for 135 grain loads.

I had to use a .215 on my SP01 with Cajun rear. I run a .195 on my SP01 Shadow with CZC Comp rear.