Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What can cause so incosistent results?

MrRick

So I went to try out some new powders and a new barrel for my DVC yesterday. My current go to load for my DVC in 38 Super is 9.5gr of HS-6 pushing MG 115gr JHP. I find this load to very consistant and accurate enough. Ejection is perfect also. The only issue I have is that is dirty as hell and I hate cleaning the comp.

HS-6.pdf

My wife picked up a pound of 3N37 for me to try out. I found it to shoot very nice and a lot cleaner. Out of my 10 shot strings, there would be one round that would be off by a bit more than the rest. Other than that I like it. Going to go back and try out a 9.4gr since 9.2gr gave me an average of 168pf and primers looked no different than my starting loads.

3N37.pdf

I just got a Trubor T2 barrel in 9mm so when my supply of 38SC brass runs out, I will start using 9mm. I read that a lot of people here likes WAC and I have a pound laying around so I decided to give it a try. I'm very OCD when it comes to loading and one of the things I try to make sure are spot on is my OAL. So my OAL is between 1.159 to 1.163 for this rounds. I don't expand (bell) my brass when loading jacketed bullets. Brass was mixed head stamps so I think this has something to do with it but 60% of them are mil brass since I pick it up for free. My velocities were all over the place and so were my pressure signs. Here is the chrono resultsWAC.pdf

This was my third shot at 7gr

FC15AB08-2002-4F0D-9089-E18C059B0928_zps

Then this was my 4th shot at 7.2gr

C46583CD-826E-4FB1-89A8-51045F9548B3_zps

Edited by MrRick

I think there's something really wrong with your can of WAC, I recently chronoed 7.7gr of WAC under 115gr MG JHP using Winchester SPP and got a pretty consistent 171pf in my full sized 2011 with minimal flattening of the primers.

Could it be contaminated? How old is it?

About 4 months. Popped the seal yesterday. It has a lot number of 1091015. But yes because the one with the pierced primer sounded like very slow burn but that could be because it burn out of both ends.

Edited by MrRick

I think there's something really wrong with your can of WAC, I recently chronoed 7.7gr of WAC under 115gr MG JHP using Winchester SPP and got a pretty consistent 171pf in my full sized 2011 with minimal flattening of the primers.

Could it be contaminated? How old is it?

Also, double check your scale and powder drop. I use WAC and got single digit SD last 4 times I chronoed.

I use 2 scales to verify my drops (yes I'm very OCD when it comes to making major PF ammo). I use a Hornady press. I loaded the 3N37 and the WAC on the same day. I clean the powder drop when I chage my powders by completely taking it apart and wiping it. I avoid big grain powders just to make it consistent. I also weight 3 drops before starting to make sure they are where I want it to be then I check every 10 rounds. Don't think is the equipment since everything else is consistent.

Edited by MrRick

Of your 10 shots with WAC, eight were very consistent - two came in low at 1300FPS.

I'd discard those two results, and say it's pretty good.

I'd confirm by shooting 20 rounds instead of 10, and check for 50 yard accuracy.

My guess, from the numbers you posted, is that all is well and accuracy will be fine. :cheers:

Well, I'll pile on saying something is strangely out of whack. I load 7.9 WAC WITH MG 115 JHP @1.168 and get single digit SD pretty regularly at 174PF.

Split cases usually come from repeated loading.

OCD or not something is wrong with your procedures, components, equipment, gun, or all of the above

I load 9.1 grain of Accurate Arms #7 behind a 125 gr bullet with CCI SRP for 167pf in a 9mm Trubor. At Area 6, it only chronoed 165.6pf, but that was still enough (whew!).

I'll also load 115 gr bullets with the same powder drop for 145pf and use for Steel Challenge, the few times I shot SC.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I've actually found wac to be super consistent it terms of charge weight and velocity. My 38 super load in my infinity (2 large popple holes, 3 chamber comp - schuemann barrel) is 7.5gn with 124gn RN and fed small rifle primer. I just chrono'd this load over the weekend. It was right on 168pf 1360 fps. I will say this seems like a fast barrel. I loaded what I thought was a soft load of 3n38 (9.8gn behind 124gn) and it went 177pf. Oal on both was 1.240.

One thing I'll say is being so dense wac fills a lot less of the case. In super a case will hold about 15gn!! Not sure in 9mm but my point is a slight overcharge would be hard to spot and in volume terms it wouldn't take much extra powder to get into high pressure in a 9mm.

You said you don't expand or bell, what press are you loading on? If your powder funnel does your belling you may not be getting full stroke on your powder bar. If you adjusted your powder charge was adjusted on a short case a longer charge could potentially drop more powder. If you load on a single stage disregard.

Hornady LnL. No belling on the powder charge station. Thinking when I get back home try it out again in 38 Super and see. Also thinking different powder in the 9mm barrel to make sure it it isn't the barrel either.

Edited by MrRick