Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions with gripping the gun

TacticalReload

I decided to bust out the P226 Elite Stainless this morning. 20+ years ago, I cut my teeth on a P-series gun; and shooting the gun reminded me how much I love the platform. .40 loaded to minor in a gun this heavy basically makes the high bore axis a non-issue. One thing I don't love so much, however, is a thumbs-forward grip causing me to ride the slide lock. Back in the day, I was still using a thumb-over-thumb grip so it wasn't an issue. I have long since moved away from that grip unless I'm shooting a revolver.

Now, no matter how I try, I can't get the thing to lock back when empty. I've tried keeping my thumb very wide, very high, somewhat low... I simply can't find a comfortable grip other than my old school revolver grip that works. And I've just been shooting too long for me to start changing things up and going back to that grip now.

Anyone have any suggestions other than giving up the idea of shooting a SIG in IDPA / USPSA?

Just treat it like a guy shooting a 2011 with the slide lock disconnected.

Count your rounds for IDPA (10 max)

and don't shoot it dry in Limited LOL

I do the same thing with my 220 and 226 and honestly have given up concerning myself with it, I do what I said above

This is what I do as well. I have fairly large hands and have had the same issue with just about every pistol I've shot, save for 1911s. For me its not worth it to use a bad grip just so the slide will lock to the rear when the pistol goes empty. There's much more to be gained through shooting with a good grip than there is to be lost by not having the slide lock to the rear.....IMO

I just lay my strong hand thumb on the outside of the joint of my weak hand thumb. Never had any issue with slide lock back doing it that way and to me it doesn't feel any different than thumbs forward along the side of the gun.

Edited by staudacher

Some grips are better than others. The E2 grips do not have a bump behind the slide catch and with those I experience the same problem you describe. I prefer the standard full size plastic grips, they hold my thumb away from the slide catch.

I actually have the stock Hogue wood grips on it now. Those grips are so fat that I figured it would be less of a problem. However 100% of the time, it still wouldn't lock back.

I know that counting rounds would just be the easiest... But in IDPA it's more problematic. Plus losing count just once or twice a match can add probably a second or two to the times. It's not worth it, IMO, unless I can find a hardware solution instead of a software one... Because my software is kind of buggy sometimes. :-)

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention, lhelliott, I'd love to go that route. If I had the money right now, a P226 Legion SAO would be on my short list. However, trying to deal with M&Ps has me broke. It kills me that I could have bought one for just a little more than what I have into my M&P PC even before the red dot.

Edited by TacticalReload

I have the same problem, I've been shooting 1911's forever, typical thumb on safety grip with doesn't work with my newly issued sig p320.

I have to consciously move my right thumb away from the side of the gun to get it away from the slide stop, my left thumb still contacts the side of the gun, and I moved my right thumb 1/4" and it rides on the left thumb