Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sanctioned Match Reports

simonsay

For those of you who have been lucky enough to attend a sanctioned match under the new rule book, would you please post your experience. I am curious to see how things were run from match to match. I'm not trying to start a war OR CHEAT, but just hoping to get a feel for what to expect if I ever get the time to go.

Equipment checks?

Chrongraphs?

Scales?

Squads or you pick'em stages?

Procedurals?

Oh yeah, how'd ya shoot?

and more

any differences you notice from before?

I just got back from Badlands. We had equiptment check when u check in. If holster wasent compliant u were handed a heat gun. There was also a scale you handed gun and empty mag to be weighed. There was not chrono stage.

We ran in squads, which in most cases means that u have tapers. :angry:

The only new rule change that i saw make a difference was the FTN. Which just makes you call your shots better.

How did i shoot? :lol: I placed mid way in my class SSP EX

What did i learn? how to clear jams in a hurry :blink:

On a finial note it was a very well run match, MD and Sos were all very good.stages were a challenge.

The rest belongs in the hate column :wacko:

Frederick Haring

For those of you who have been lucky enough to attend a sanctioned match under the new rule book,  would you please post your experience.  I am curious to see how things were run from match to match.  I'm not trying to start a war OR CHEAT, but just hoping to get a feel  for what to expect if I ever get the time to go. 

Equipment checks?

Chrongraphs?

Scales?

Squads or you pick'em stages?

Procedurals?

Oh yeah, how'd ya shoot?

and more

any differences you notice from before?

Great idea - I don't think it is cheating to share info about what's going on out there, and it shouldn't make the the organizers or HQ mad either. Unless they're like China and pull the pug on the internet at the first sign of civil unrest :o

The South Carolina match was great. Fourteen stages over two days. The match was run by common sense people who were more interested in you having a safe fun match rather than spending their time nick picking you to death over new rules.

No chrono

No equipment checks (that I saw)

No Scales

No IDPA box stage

No Squads

The only new rule I saw catch some folks off guard was the new FTN rule

(two down 3's).

The only inconsistancy I saw regarded reloads. We has some SO's tell us that if you needed to do an emergency reload while shooting on the move that you had to stop. Others told us we could keep moving while making the reload.

Other than that it was an outstanding match.

Fiesta Regional in San Antonio, TX April 24th

Equipment checks ----- At 3 or 4 out of 10 stages as the match was not run by squad

Chrongraphs ----- none

Scales ---- none

Squads or you pick'em stages ---- no squad, go at your own pace good and bad... i was done about 2 hrs before most and 4 hours before some!

Procedurals --- yeah I got one... that on april 14th I wouldn't have but that is the way it was

Oh yeah, how'd ya shoot ---- not as good as I wanted... better than some 4th in SSP SS

any differences you notice from before --- some of the SO's bitching about the new rules and one saying he was done with IDPA

Over all it was a great match. I had an awesome time as it was my first major match. The stages were great, some easy and fast most challenging and well planned. My hat is off to the MD and all the SO's that made that match!

San Antonio Feista Regional:

Equipment check: Several, which precipitated the only argument we had all day. One RO had a novel, personal interpretation of the “light in the belt tunnel rule”. Call it “giving you the finger rule” he attempted to keep one shooter in our group from shooting because he could get the tip of his finger between the belt and the holster loop. There was absolutely no light showing but he was determined that the holster was “not IDPA legal”. A visit with the MD resolved that one. Oh, did I mention that the start position on this stage was from the low-ready? No holster needed (legal or otherwise).

Chronographs: None

Scales: None

Squads or you pick'em stages: Roll your own

Procedurals: None, but I worried some about the 180 enforcement (local range rule) on several stages that had targets at the 179.99 line and at least two where the start position was not parallel with the front side of the shooting bay.

Oh yeah, how'd ya shoot? OK, but slow. Was in the chase until I got blinded!

The Blackhawk range is a good facility in general and the River City Shooters area is nicely done with high and deep bays. It would have been nice to have more than one Porta Potty for the crowd they had. The club worked hard and provided a good shoot for every gunner in attendance.

geezer

I shot the SC IDPA State Championship last weekend. It was shot under the new rules and nobody complained about it. You really couldn't tell a difference. The only equipment check that was done (which was done on stage 10 right before they made 10 shooters hot at a time) was to make sure your concealment garment covered the mag pouches and holster and while doing that they made sure that the mag pouch and holster were where it was supposed to be on the belt. They didn't get down on hands and knees and check for slivers of light. There was a few people that could tell a difference though and that was on stage 9 of the match. It ate peoples lunch with failures to neutralize. Two 3's or a miss and a 3 down really hurts . So that was really the only effect the new rules had there.

Mike

I'm not trying to throw a skunk in the kitchen but what if your equipment is ok'd throughout the year at sanctioned matches yet declared illegal at nationals? There's gonna be some mad folks. Our local so's/md's can't tell me if my eq. is legal or not with any degree of certainty. Thanks for the reports though. First one I'll have a chance at will be june or july.

I also shot the Badlands match, but didn't get to finish due to an injury, but this is what I observed.

The equipment check was nothing more than a very brief lookover as you went to the scale, there was NO nit-picking or anything to that affect. Mike Brown did a good job.

Equipment checks? Yes, VERY informal and took less than 20 seconds per person

Chrongraphs? NO

Scales? YES

Squads or you pick'em stages? Loosely assigned squads

Procedurals? Yes, per the new rulebook

Oh yeah, how'd ya shoot? Terrible, absolutely terrible.

and more

any differences you notice from before? None

I'm not trying to throw a skunk in the kitchen but what if your equipment is ok'd throughout the year at sanctioned matches yet declared illegal at nationals?  There's gonna be some mad folks.  Our local so's/md's can't tell me if my eq. is legal or not with any degree of certainty.  Thanks for the reports though.  First one I'll have a chance at will be june or july.

That's the 800lb gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about.

The 400lber is the "what if your equipment is ok'd throughout the year at local matches yet declared illegal at sanctioned matches?" question.

I'm not trying to throw a skunk in the kitchen but what if your equipment is ok'd throughout the year at sanctioned matches yet declared illegal at nationals? 

That's the 800lb gorilla in the room nobody wants to talk about.

The 400lber is the "what if your equipment is ok'd throughout the year at local matches yet declared illegal at sanctioned matches?" question.

Sooner or later it's gonna be discussed unless the rules were intended as suggestions.

Aim For A Cure match last weekend.

No equipment check.

No scale.

No box.

No chrono.

Shotgun start.

Got one Procedural Tac Seq. Got on trigger too hard and doubled one of the targets.

The two -3 rule bit several people.

1st SSP Master and low match score.

The Alabama State Championship Match was just before the new rules, but it was run the same way.

ESP Champion. Dave Sevigny just nipped me for low match score. Is 50+ seconds nipped? :lol:

:lol: Shot the Arkansas State in Little Rock, this last weekend....

No equipment checks on 14 very well run stages....

NO SCALE>>>

1 box, no problem from what i saw....

No Chrono,but the steel poppers one was stage were very hard to knock down for some/most shooters,,,9mm took on average 3/4 shots,most 40's and 45's took 2 shots..it was their way to check the power factor,,and strong wind didnt help either..

Shotgun start ..which worked out well..stopped for lunch for 1 hour..

several 'toe procedures' on one stage...but SO did a very good job on warning everybody,[,practice weak hand head shots,with a NT in front..from a barricade ,,,repeat/do this 50 times each day for a week..].

I think every SO there worked as a SO at the nationals...nobody said anything about the NEW rules....

1st time in 14 months that i hit BUBBA on 3 diffenet stages,,that hurt....cost me division champ in CDP...but i was happy at 2nd place...quit a few people got moved up also....... B) ..also everybody needs to say congrats to Rick Simes,,he couldn't do antything wrong...check out his score when they post them...

Also shot the AR state match this past weekend. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between this match run under the new rules and a sanctioned match run under the old rules.

Since GmanCdp summed up the match well, I won't repeat.

Yeah Rick was smokin. I talked to him after the match, said he pretty much shot flawless. Good thing I decided to shoot ESP, cause I had ammo problems from start to finish. And then somehow still won ESP. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got to a sanctioned match. I shot the Texas state match in Friendswood this weekend. Twelve stages, 140 rounds with assigned squads for the first stage and then you pick em from then on. I like the you pick em deal but the match probably laster longer than it should have because of a one or two stage bottleneck. They collected 6 rounds from a loaded mag before the first stage to chrono and did a quick eyeball equipment check. Not complaining but I'm suprised that there was no shooting on the move, no strong hand only, no weak hand, and only 4 reloads for cdp on the clock and 3 reloads for the 10 round shooters. Had fun and met some good people.