Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

heart rate monitor, anyone tried this?

docscoutjr

I was wondering if anyone had ever put on a heart rate monitor during a match?

Especially interested in what happens as you get to the line and begin LARM. I think everyone gets jacked up, some more than others, but I suspect the better shooters are able to keep their heart rates down at the start of a stage.

Might be a interesting training exercise?

I have monitored mine during a training event. It was from a static shooting position with 5-6 others on the line. My heart rate would increase. I was using my Garmin running monitor with chest strap that also measures cadence, steps, oscillation but had the gps turned of. You can see where it was picking up the vibration from the shots fired. e971e8dc1db2f61e9f9dcd6bff3a042c.jpg

Have a buddy who - was having heart problems , they put him on some mobile device that monitored and sent them real time data.

They told him to do his normal activities

He came to shoot a match, they called him 3 times during the match, telling him his heart rate was too high

The 3rd time(3rd stage) they said, "we don't know what you are doing today, but STOP whatever it is."

:roflol:

I've done it. Start it when I am the shooter, standing at the start position before the RO comes over. So it runs for maybe 20 seconds before LAMR. I then hit stop as soon as I'd holstered. Depending on the stage in the almost 1 minute I was recording data my resting hear rate of 70bpm would go anywhere from 100-125bpm as a high in that time frame.

But I never tried any bio feedback or active relaxation techniques with the hrm on for comparison. I wasn't sure it was giving me any data beyond just quelling some curiosity. I too would be more interested in bp and/or respirations.

I wore one at the 10k Oklahoma Run N Gun (rifle/pistol "centerfire biathlon") just to pace myself. My head cam happened to catch the readout when I was shooting, and it was interesting to see my heartrate was usually around 160 bpm while shooting. It makes the 500yd shot especially challenging!

While running I tried to keep it averaging around 175 bpm (90% of my max heartrate).

• 4 weeks later...

I was just talking about hr monitors last week. For matches I shoot better juiced up (adrenaline), to a point. I know my hr must soar during the stage. At least I think so. What I want to see is if my hr is higher BEFORE the stage, then actually lowers during. I do full speed walk throughs as the on deck shooter so my hr would be elevated prior to shooting.

The other reason it came up. I was group shooting last week and actually felt my hr drop just before I broke each shot. After the shot it sped back up. I double plug and I can both feel and hear my hear rate while shooting. Now I want to see if I can capture it using my garmin and hr monitor. I've never experienced it before. Also shot the best freestyle 25y group of my life.