Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Sauer Max Michel 1911

jmi786

I am considering getting into single stack. The Max 1911 looks like a decent piece out of the box.

I am not set up for reloading either cartridge yet, will be using Atlanta arms or similar in the beginning.

I am trying to decide what caliber would be best.

I'm guessing that .40 would be good for both minor and major.

Need some input.

If you're shooting only SS with Major loads, your best bet is the .45.

Unless you shoot LTD and already own a .40

The .40 does allow you to get 9 in a (box compliant) mag. I don't know that any of the 10 round mags fit in the box.

I've owned the 45, it was a very nice pistol and would buy one again.

Went with all 40's for SS because I shoot limited and its easier with the one caliber.

10 round 40 mags did not work/function well for me, others have had some success

40 minor seems to shoot nicely, I use it for Steel matches.

I use 134/140gr bullets with my 180gr powder charge. No sight adjustment needed for SC matches in my guns

Summary buy the MAX in which ever caliber you find it in

45 and 40 can both be loaded to major or minor without compromise, and are both superior to 9mm in that regard. I love 45. I shoot it more than any other caliber. It is what I would shoot in SS, for no other reason that that's what my 1911s are chambered for.

That being said, if you are super competitive, being limited to 8 rounds can occasionally cost you some time in a sub-stage where you have to be more deliberate to avoid a possible standing reload.

I shoot 40 in Limited. Being able to start with 21 or 22 in the gun is a huge advantage, and a confidence booster. I can push harder on sub-stages, knowing that if I blow a shot I can make it up and never, ever have to worry about a standing reload. I also shoot minor loads at 138PF out of this gun for steel and unsanctioned matches where everything is scored the same. So if I were going to build another 1911 specifically for SS, it would be in 40sw. The extra 1 or 2 rounds in major is worth it. You can get the Tripp 10-round 40 mags to work, although you might have to fiddle with or replace the mag catch. Even if you stick with 9-round mags, it is still a clear advantage over 8.

I honestly don't see the point of any 9mm 1911, especially for SS. If that's all you have, go for it, but why limit yourself to minor if you have a choice.

Edited by zzt