Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First open division match. Some observations.

taco101

Finally got to shoot this weekend with my new open gun. (three weekend rainouts in a row!!!) Some background, I started in single stack then went to B class in Limited. This was my very first open match. I learned a bunch and figured I would post some of my observations:

1- Grin factor. When I ran through the first stage and the range was clear....I noticed a huge grin on my face! THAT WAS FUN!!!

2- Just because I have a cool gun like the GM that went in front of me...I don't have the skills that he does. Still have to see the dot on the A's. I was able to go back to seeing the dot on the A and still went pretty quick.

3- Offset. The sight is higher than the line of bore. When you call an A just over hard cover it just might be in hard cover because of the offset. That goes for two no shoots as well. (would have won that stage otherwise.)

4- Know where the gun hits at the Standards distances. I hit a bit higher than I expected at 25 yards.

5- Big stick mags give you a little more latitude on stage planning....use it.

6- Make sure all of your mags will seat well when full. I had one not seat when the slide was forward. Cost quite a bit of time.

7- Grin factor. Yes I know I listed it twice but I'm still grinning. Tons of fun!

First qualifier in the books with an A score!!!!

The trick to sighting in a dot is to use a laser bore sighter, like SiteMark, about $30. I put mine at 40 yards, line up the sight with the laser dot, done. inch or so low at 7 yards,.

• 3 weeks later...

Also be careful when leaning around a wall to engage a target with your CMore/dot offset. It's easy to have your gun canted at a 45 and shoot through a wall. Instead, lean around the wall and keep your gun/CMore upright ;)