Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

seat and crimp on 223

gunner40sw

So now someone told me to seat and crimp the 223 in two different stages not all at the same time is that the better way

I seat and then crimp all my pistol and rifle ammo, this is because when seating and crimping in a single operation there is a chance of bulging the case neck. Also seating and crimping in one operation can increase neck runout.

The RCBS AR series dies come with a taper crimp die and they work extremely well, and they are small base dies. "BUT" they only size the base .0005 (one half thousandths) smaller in diameter than my standard RCBS .223 die. I load for three different AR15 rifles and buy once fired Lake City brass and this is my preferred die. Also note I have a standard full length Lee .223 die and it sizes the base smaller in the base than my RCBS small base die. Meaning we live in a plus and minus manufacturing world and rifle chambers and dies vary in size.

rcbs_ar_series_223_5_56x45_t_c_zpsmaqtzi

Below my RCBS AR series .223/5.56 die equipped with a Forster high mounted floating expander that greatly reduces neck runout.

IMG_2140_zpsea657d9e.jpg

Edited by bigedp51

Need can be a little bit of a funny word. My 20" Larue doesn't need a crimp to prevent setback during normal cycling, but my 16" Frankenrifle does. The best way to find out if you need to crimp is to cycle the same round (vigorously, like the rifle would by itself) a few times and see if there's an OAL change.

Need can be a little bit of a funny word. My 20" Larue doesn't need a crimp to prevent setback during normal cycling, but my 16" Frankenrifle does. The best way to find out if you need to crimp is to cycle the same round (vigorously, like the rifle would by itself) a few times and see if there's an OAL change.

Or just press the round into a sturdy surface such as reloading bench and remeasure.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

The only reason that you should "need" to crimp in an auto loader is if you dont have enough neck tension. You should size .002-.003. Most seating dies have a built in crimp availible but its more difficult to adjust when you change bullets. Your rifle bullets should have a crimp grove if you are crimping them.

My cases are all trimmed to 1.757 maybe a couple at 1.754 is this alright or should I trim them all to 1.750. I am using a RCBS seating die that is stamped 223 rem seat 13. Also I picked up some CFE 223 powder and some Winchester 55 GR FMJBT bullets.

Any load data anybody wants to share

Edited by gunner40sw

• 2 weeks later...

As said in several above posts, you should not need to crimp if neck tension is set properly.

The only exception I have run into is when using an M die or similar to flare the case to make seating flat base bullets easier without shaving jacket rings off the bullet base. I use a roll crimp die to barely touch the mouth and remove any residual flare left over after seating.

I use a dillon 550 and I always crimp all my calibers in station 4. On rifle rounds I just do a very slight crimp to smooth the edge of the brass at the mouth to keep feed problems at zero. For 5.56 I trim to 1.760 in hopes my brass will last longer.