Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what power factor for 3 gun?

Dewberry

So at the last major 3 gun match I had some trouble knocking down poppers at 25 yds with my pistol, this have caused me to reconsider the load im shooting.

So i ran my current loads over the chrono and they are quit a bit slower than expected, currently im shooting X-treme 147s at about 800 fps, which puts me at a power factor just above 115

anyone here loading for 3 gun? if so what are you shooting?

since I dont have to meet an actual PF any recommendations for what I should run to knock everything down?

Edit to add: im running a M&P pro with the 5" factory barrel

Edited by Dewberry

I run a 124gr bayou over 3.2gr of titegroup. Runs about 118pf no issues knocking steel over

yeah ive been running this load for about 6 months and only had problems with 2 poppers that were 25+ yards away and at a bad angle, just made me curious about what others are running.

im considering just loading some rounds with a 130+ PF only for use if i come across some more hard targets.

I normally shoot my 6 inch .40 for 3 gun, but will shoot an M&P 9L for some local stuff. The .40, I use my 180 Bayou with 4.6 of Titegroup. It's right around major. The 9L will be over 135 power factor. Honestly, you won't notice the hotter load when the timer goes off, and you will knock the steel over.

I have worked the last 4 FN 3 Gun matches, I have seen poppers not go down because the shooter thought it was a 3 GN match. He had to hit a popper at about 10 yards 3 times before it went down. Oh, and it did fall with 1 shot of American Eagle from said 9L.

I'm running 124 Acmes over 3.2gr over Titegroup, right around 122pf. Had my first match of the season Sunday and there where quite a few poppers and mini poppers out to maybe 20 yards that didn't stand a chance. I'm trying BBI 135's soon just to see if I can't get a slightly higher pf with a similar recoil impulse.

We calibrate with 120pf ammo at our matches. Have a few guys that shoot around the 108pf range and don't have much problem knocking down steel. Only exception is the 10" steel plates we have. Center hit with 108pf wont take them off. Personally I shoot 130-135pf.