Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my new Open gun

nahanshew89

Courtesy of a member who graciously provided it on a deal, I have a new Caspian Open gun. I made a short video testing it out. I only had factory 130gr "+P" rounds to try in it, I haven't gotten powder, primers, or pills yet to cook up a major load yet. I still ran incredibly flat, and I imagine when I do cook up a major load, it will run even flatter thanks to the extra gasses. Overall, I'm very, very happy with it, and look forward to playing the Open game. Needless to say, it's definitely going to take some getting used to.

"https://youtu.be/OlZ5Gkmc5E0"

I also left my targets and stuff at home, so all I had to shoot at was a coffee can :roflol:

Edited by nahanshew89

It's a 6 MOA, it works pretty good too. I was almost directly against the sun, it was about 730 and I was facing east, and the dot was nice and clear. Brand new batteries help too ;)

If you're thinking this one, think again my friend! It's everything I've been wanting and then some.

No, not yours. You've got a beauty there! I've been looking also.
My day will come.

Well thank you very much! I really enjoy it, and once you go down that road, they say there's no coming back. I know what they mean now!

There is nothing like shooting an open gun!
Enjoy the ride

Thanks Sarge. It's a blast! And yes, horrible pun most definitely intended!

Edited by nahanshew89

Well I got this one on a trade, so I didn't have much choice. I only go to shoot 50 rounds today and I was able to recover 49 pcs of brass. So far so good. I figure somewhere down the line, if I want to I could always convert to 9 if it gets to be too much of a bother.

Edited by nahanshew89

Nice open. Looks like a schuman island barrel with 3 or 4 ports and a decent comp. it'll be able to use all that nice slow powder in 38 super. Looks to have the mod cons too like racker, 90 mount etc.

A good amount of vhita vhouri n105 or 3n38 behind a 115 or 124gn jhp will have it singing along nicely.

Welcome to open. The fun side. :)

Good eye, Schumann 4 port barrel, DAA 90° mount, slide racker and a half decent trigger job to boot. Not 100% sure on the exact comp, but she's a real joy to shoot. The previous owner said he cooked up a load using HS-6, so I'll probably buy a pound of that to start. Plus it's available locally, bout the only high quality stuff there is without driving 50 miles or more.

And thank you, I'm pretty stoked, I've been wanting to play in Open since day one, I never thought I'd get there so fast!

Edited by nahanshew89

as with all advice on the net you need to make up your own mind. plenty of people have shot 9mm out of their super barrels without issue but everyone needs to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

personally unless the brass cost will mean the difference between shooting or not shooting I would just go with the super. if at some point you need a new barrel it's then probably a good time to consider switching (again, if you want to).

HS6 is a great powder but to be honest if you're shooting 38 super one of the big benefits is the ability to use stuff like N105 and 3N38 with 115gn bullets (guys do shoot 3N38 in 9 with 124s and probably some can with 115s too, but likely in a gun as heavily ported as yours is it would struggle to hold enough powder in a 9mm case to make major with 115s).

again, totally up to you but I'd suggest at least try some N105 or 3N38 with either 115, 121 or 124gn bullets.

At this time, I'm not comfortable shooting 9 thru my 38 barrel. I just made a deal on a pretty good chunk of once fired 38 super brass, so I should be good for a while in that department. I'm pretty sure I can get N105 locally, so I'll give that a try if it's not too expensive. As it stands, I think I can only get a pound at a time of that kind of powder from the LGS, so of course that's a bit of a disadvantage. I also have Xtreme bullets local to me, and while that would be very convenient, I've heard their stuff doesn't particularly work well with major loads. I appreciate the input, I'll take it into consideration. As a thought, and not being particularly versed in the different kinds of powder, burn rates and all that, why is N105 or 3N38 going to be better than HS-6?

I also tried a limited gun I built in 40. I hate 40. I don't know what I was thinking there. Offed that for this. I like a revolver as much as the next red blooded American, but I could never see myself trying to compete with one. I haven't had a chance to compete with my Open gun yet, I know I'll like it, it's way way fun to shoot, but I also really enjoy the Production game. Planning stages in Prod does it for me, it's like a puzzle that has different ways to solve. I'll probably focus my gaming on that, while just classifying with my Open gun for now.

Edited by nahanshew89

On the powder front first of all vv is just the best powder maker. Their stuff is very high quality, consistent etc.

3n38 is specifically designed for ipsc type open gun loads.

N105 and 3n38 are slower burning powders than hs6 which means you need more powder (by weight) to get the same velocity. More powder means more gas. In a gun with both large barrel ports and a compensator more gas is a good thing.

For example loads with 3n38 will be around the 10gn range and n105 as much as 11gn.

They are expensive but vv is the rolls Royce of powders.

Oh OK, yeah, I can get with that. I'll see what my LGS has. Is 3N37 similar to 3N38? I seem to remember seeing that on the list of available powders last time I was in.

Edir: Holy crap! 3n38 and N105 are almost twice the price of HS-6! It better be the hotness for that kind of scratch! And I can get twice the HS-6 for only about 20 dollars more if I buy 8lbs of it vs 4lbs of 3n38. Holy shmoly this stuff is like buying a Rolls Royce!

Edited by nahanshew89

3n38 is pretty much the cheapest powder here, you get the 4.4lbs boxes of it (132USD)

n105 is a bit more expensive.

For super n105 will have less kablow and flame than 3n38

No idea what it costs for you guys, VV is common/cheap/available here.

Last 14 days I have loaded up more than 13-14lbs of 3n38 :o and thats just in 9mm

Edited by ano

At this time, I'm not comfortable shooting 9 thru my 38 barrel. I just made a deal on a pretty good chunk of once fired 38 super brass, so I should be good for a while in that department. I'm pretty sure I can get N105 locally, so I'll give that a try if it's not too expensive. As it stands, I think I can only get a pound at a time of that kind of powder from the LGS, so of course that's a bit of a disadvantage. I also have Xtreme bullets local to me, and while that would be very convenient, I've heard their stuff doesn't particularly work well with major loads. I appreciate the input, I'll take it into consideration. As a thought, and not being particularly versed in the different kinds of powder, burn rates and all that, why is N105 or 3N38 going to be better than HS-6?

I use both. The difference.. HS6 is a lot cheaper, but 3N38 is a lot cleaner.