Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 out of the box accuracy

TFin04

Long time Glock shooter, interested in a 320. I like the feel of the gun, the control layout, and the trigger. This may seem insignificant, but after shooting CZ's for a while with steel mags, I have come to really hate plastic on plastic mags. So the P320 mags make me happy too. I have read all of the glowing reviews online, but any "review" from a competition background has been from someone paid or discounted to shoot the gun.

So, if I order one through my local dealer, what can I expect? Is it going to shoot like everyone says, or have those guns been worked over? I've heard some mumblings of bad groups (flyers, etc) from sloppy guns.

Bought a Compact Sig P320 recently and took it with only 75 rounds through it to a Steel Challenge. It shot the match perfectly, definitely quicker for me than a DA/SA gun like my CZ75B. Afterwards, there was an unofficial "Long Shot" fun shoot to see who could hit a 12-oz plastic water bottle, at night with minimal illumination, from 55-ish yards away, in one shot. The P320s first shot hit it. Bone stock, not even broke in. I would say the gun is more accurate than me most of the time and I love the trigger. I don't own a Glock, so no comparo there.

I have shot a friend's stock 320 for a mag or two. No accuracy testing, so I can't comment on that. He normally shot top Production in our local Steel Challenge matches with his X5 Allround. By the second match with his stock 320, he was right back up there. The trigger was nice, with a very positive, audible reset. I'd liken it more to the trigger in my PPQ than to the stock Glock or XD triggers I've tried. The front sight was a Siglite night sight, and it was wider than I'd like on a competition gun. I'm not sure if you can get a regular 320 with non-tritium sights. I imagine the Target model probably will come with FO.

Trigger breaks like a PPQ, but heavier and with a longer reset. Also, during dry fire I could feel the "double click" in the trigger, which is the striker release and THEN feel the sear reset. Some are better than others, just had a compact in my hand that was terrible regarding the double click feel. The 320 I got to tinker with averaged just over 7# trigger pull. Accuracy was disappointing as I was expecting to be "wowed". I wasn't. I benched it the same as I do any other gun I'm testing and although not terrible, it is not to the same level as a P229. It didn't shoot bad, but it was "average" in the accuracy department.

I do like the feel of the 320, both in the hand and slide action. I'm waiting to test the soon to be released target model. Many of the issues I have with it should be resolved.

Edited by want2race

I've shot a P320 (I owned and shot a P226 a lot). The trigger shape and size make it "feel" similar to a PPQ trigger pull, but it had a 7# pull on a gage. The gun has a street price of about $499, but trigger work to get it functioning better costs a lot more than trigger work for a Glock or M&P. In our entire area (three ranges/clubs) there is only one guy shooting a Sig P320 in competition that I know about and he is an average shooter. My Glock 17 and 34 were more accurate than the P320, but I have Vanek Classic trigger kits in them, Dawson FO sight sets, and have shot them a lot more. The stock sights and trigger on the P320 were different enough (as well as the gun being newer) to account for most of the accuracy difference. I would not shoot a P320 in competition without trigger work, upgraded sights, and other tweaking. The new target model may be the answer if you want to shoot a Sig.

I shot one at a range event hosted by Sig. The guns we used were samples from one of the Sig Factory reps. He said each one had a couple thousand rounds through them. The trigger was heavy, but crisp. I liked it better than my M&P, which feels mushy to me.

The accuracy was ok. We were limited to shooting from 7 yards and off hand, so I didn't get a chance to bench it. I was able to keep all rounds touching at that distance. The sights are typical Sig, large, blocky, and not really built for accuracy.

If I were to use one in competition I would get rid of the stock sights immediately and definitely work on the trigger.

Trigger, sights and other do dads have no effect on the GUNS accuracy. Those all effect the ability for the SHOOTER to make accurate hits. I HIGHLY doubt you will find many lemons in a ransom rest..And these are mass produced striker fired guns, there is going to be some tolerance stacking leading to varying degrees of trigger feel/weight. They are amazing guns! Go down to your local gun store and ask to see 5-8 of them. Finger bang all of them and keep the one that was best.

Edited by ShortBus

Don't think anyone mentioned "lemon". Just non biased feedback. I've grouped many 320's already. I'm certified on them as well. There are a lot of positive aspects that I like about the gun, the trigger mechanism is not one of them. I'm going to crack that nut, then my opinion may change.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Bought a P320 full size, installed a set of Dawson's and shot a couple 10 round B8's at 25 yds. Worst was a 94, best was a 97/6X, at about a 4" spread overall. The ammo was local reman stuff that shoots about 4" out of my CZ's as well. Groups are usually tight with a flyer or two. So far, the Sig is just as accurate as other guns known to be good shooters.

I'm about a 3" shooter at 25 on my good days. I'm going to feed it some better ammo next and see where it settles in. So far so good.

Trigger on mine is okay. Not as good as the rental I tried, but it's still new. We'll see. So far I like this gun a lot.

I am not sponsored by sig in any way. My sponsors are listed in my signature. I was searching for a light weight, fast moving gun, while still being accurate and reliable, The SIG. shoots under 3" at 25 yards with me pulling the trigger that was factory. .. I sent the gun to Bruce Gray, Then the gun shoots much better... which leads me to believe, I suck. It shoots better groups than my X caliber, and better groups than I've shot wit a glock. The best part of my shooting is accuracy. and distant targets. I feel the P320 to be one of the most accurate production guns out of a box.

I actually sold an M&P pro because i couldn't get it to group with the factory barrel. ( my gun was a 40) I will have a compact 9mm in tonight and tomorrow a full size slide to test out.