Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 for smaller hands (CK Arms ?)

Avedis

I've got the 2011 bug, badly. Currently looking to make the jump from my CZ Tactical Sport 9mm to a 2011 from CK Arms. One thing has been holding me back, the size of my hands. I've got smaller hands (see pictures below).

Current issues I have with my CZ TS: Cant reach slide stop, weak side safety digs into the palm, mag release digs into weakside palm (had to switch sides)

Will making the jump to the CK Arms 2011 alleviate my current issues, or am I stuck with smaller framed guns due to the size of my hands. Plan on running a 9mm CK Arms Hardcore series with steel grip.

Look forward to pick your knowledgeable brains on this subject.

gloves-size%20copy_zpssne5u2jk.jpg

4e61df43-9389-4cd1-8f45-be901533b263_zps

bdc8ab52-3adb-4ecd-8159-f99d1ea442a2_zps

4910b8e7-6fc2-4e4c-80a0-8da56103f675_zps

I have small hands too, and worried a 2011 grip might be challenging. I have a Cheely with stippled STI plastic grip. Initially I had to "flip" it some to reach the mag release, other than that no issues. Adding a Dawson round big button solved that, and I don't have any trouble hitting it when shooting. It's the first pistol I've had where I could drop a mag without breaking my grip.

I can't answer for the CK metal grip, but I can't imagine it would be that different in size.

How often do you find the need to release the slide with your strong hand? For 1911/2011 platform I use my support hand as it slides into its position, (if my plan goes poorly and I somehow end up at slide lock). For my Tanfoglio Stock 2, I don't even worry about it, the slide auto-forwards when the mag is seated. For the mag release, there are extension options that should work for you on your CZ especially in Limited, I believe there are some different safties you can run that should reduce or emilinate the side that annoys you. Unless you really want to make the gun swap, I'd work on your grip and controls before jumping into the deep end of the 2011 pool. But JMHO, enjoy whatever you choose!

Edited by Scrmblr

The extreme shooters reduced grip, can't remember the exact name of it, is what you are looking for. I have wide hands but shortish fingers and the extreme shooters grip is perfect feeling to me. The regular grips feel huge and I'm glad I went that route with the gun I bought.

Using a paddle button on your mag release is not uncommon. With a normal grip I cannot hit a 1911/2011 button without repositioning my grip. The STI paddle button is really nice and allows the grip to stay solid.

As far as the slide stop, it is quite irrelevant. On the 2011 you will likely modify your gun to not lock back.

The 2011 really is awesome to shoot, hand size is not an issue.

Good luck!

I am in the same boat. My hand length is 7.75" and circumference is 7.5". Here is a pic of my TS when I first got it.

2016-03-04%2009.30.34.jpg

I just sent it to Automatic Accuracy for frame reduction. Now, SVI does have small grip if you wish to order an SVI Infinity. Add a curved trigger and you are set.

Take a small SVI steel grip then cut a lot of metal away from the corners immediately behind the trigger. The square corner there impedes your trigger finger operation and leads to snatching left.

Then bob the frame and mainspring housing. This is possibly the most important change for small hands and short fingers.

Forget about a magwell. After a short while you won't notice the difference. It is still a small peg into a large hole.

Finally add an SVI short curved trigger and you are ready to go.

I went one step further and rounded off the two frame corners that lie immediately forward of the beavertail - i.e the corners that contain the back end of the trigger bow. By cutting and smoothing this area I find that my strong hand grip is better and more comfortable.