Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty Mags In Safe Area ?

TBF

What do you all feel about having loaded mags on your belt while you are in the safe area checking your dot or doing a few draws?  AFAIK it's not against the rules as long as you don't touch your mags but it might cause someone to be concerned.  What do you think?

Sam

I'm comfortable and happy, until the shooter grabs a loaded mag and pulls it out of the pouch ---- then it's time to hit the showers. I see shooters miming the draw and reloads during walkthroughs --- and don't sweat that much either.

TBF, that would piss me off too. I would probably use slightly stronger language than "bite me", more like "I know you're not talking to me jack-ass" would probably roll out of my mouth. :)

"You can rest assured that if I see you with a magazine, I will approach you and verify that they are empty"

Jim, if you pulled that range-nazi move on me while trying to legally rectify a magazine problem in the safety area, we would'nt be getting along too well, rest assured. ;)

Guest Gunslinger45

Go by the rules! The rules allow handling empty mags at the safe area so go right ahead. They do not allow handling ammo, dummy, snap cap or otherwise so don't. Most of us are adults and those who aren't have parents or guardians with them. There are too many "Range parents" out there who feel that they need to tell everyone else how to be safe. I say it's the "Individuals" responsibility to go by the rules and stay safe and if they don't then a R.O. or someone else will tell them that they screwed up "in a polite manner" and D.Q. them. If the guy had done that to me I would have asked him who in the hell did he think he was talking to and then I would have explained how things work politely between "Adults" or he could go piss up a rope.

For those who are leary of empty mags at the safe area because they "might" have a live round in them then you should be just as leary of a gun at the safe area because it might have a live round in the chamber. Check a new shooter at the safe area to make sure they don't have any ammo? Sure, but do it with couth.

"You can rest assured that if I see you with a magazine, I will approach you and verify that they are empty"

Jim, if you pulled that range-nazi move on me while trying to legally rectify a magazine problem in the safety area, we would be getting along too well, rest assured. ;)

I am not sure where you get "Range Nazi" from. If I have nver seen you at our club, I would have no real idea just what you know or don't know. I would verify that you know what you are doing. I may do it without you even realizing that I did it. I never said or indicated that I would swagger up to you and demand to know just WTF you think you're doing did I?

I might step up and introduce myself, welcome you to our club and just happen to notice that your mags are empty and never mention it. On the other hand, if you are a new shooter you might not even realize that you have broken a rule by having ammo on the table or a loaded mag. I would ask you to stop what you are doing in that case and explain the rules. Being new and not yet even having had your safety check, I would not DQ you (Flame suit on) and after explaining the wheres and whys you would be welcomed to complete your safety check and if you successfully did so, you would be squadded with a senior shooter that would help you through your day.

BTW, we make every attempt to get our new shooters out to our indoor training matches held twice monthly. Much less intimidating than a full fledged match. Rules are explained and then the shooter gets a three hour exposure to all of IPSC/USPSA and we get exposed to him so we have a better idea of what he knows.

Jim

Thanks all !

I had hoped that checking empty mags was OK.

I seem to be having some " drop free " issues lately.

I agree that I would be interested in whether the mag in question was empty.

I might even ask someone whether it was empty if I was not sure.

Safety is everyones responsibility.

I promise not to chamber check rounds in the safety area by cycling them through the gun.

You promise not to act like you are going to shoot me in an insane fit of rage.

It's all groovy man. ( yeah, I'm trying to be funny again . )

Travis F.

I'm sorry man, I had just lost my favorite magazine that I've had since I was six years old and, and, and for a second there......... yours looked just like it! :blink:

Take some solace in the fact that a "jackass bitching" is one place where it is much better to be the recipient than the giver.   :lol:

Start crying - and when asked whats wrong explain you were raised on the farm and it makes you homesick when you hear a Jackass bray!

LOL !

Gotta remember that line !

Travis F.

".I might step up and introduce myself, welcome you to our club and just happen to notice that your mags are empty and never mention it..."

Now that approach I could handle.

Thanks Jim. :)

(I should refrain from posting when I'm angry at something else) :unsure:

I don't want to drift the thread, but with respect to having loaded mags on your person while in the safe area makes me believe that even though the magazines are on your belt, you still have loaded rounds in the safe area. I never take a loaded mag to the safe area no matter where I am carrying the mag.

Mike

As a precaution against me pulling a dumbass move, all mags come off the belt and go in the bag before entering a safe area. If I need an empty mag while there, I take it out before entering, verify (two or three times) that is is, indeed, empty, then put it on the belt. Hasn't failed *YET*.... ;):lol:

I don't want to drift the thread, but with respect to having loaded mags on your person while in the safe area makes me believe that even though the magazines are on your belt, you still have loaded rounds in the safe area.  I never take a loaded mag to the safe area no matter where I am carrying the mag.

Mike

There's no rule against having ammo in the safe area ---- there's only a rule preventing you from handling ammo in the safe area. Since no one wants to make a dqable mistake, it's necessary for each shooter to develop a procedure that they're comfortable with when carrying a bag to a safe table.......

I often set my bag on the safe table to bag my gun at the conclusion of the match ---- but only after I've accounted for and emptied all my mags and sealed my ammo bag inside the range bag.

There ain't none of dem der safe areas here in Tennessee! No worries 'bout getting dq'ed over stupid rules that way  :ph34r:

I thought that's what the tailgate of Lyn's truck was for.... :lol:

Troy

whoa there chief!

is the national pick on lynn jones day?

sg, we have a special safe area for you..it's close to the railroad track! :D

troy, don't talk about my truck and i won't tell people you wear two pairs of underwear under your kilt. :o:ph34r:

fwiw we're going to build a least 4 safe areas on the berms soon.

lynn

Troy?!?!  I thought he parked his truck in the safe area...well, maybe that was his brother's truck?

Nah, somebody parked a fence post right in front of where my brother's truck was going. And yes, Kath, I got that wrinkle fixed. More expensive than Botox....damn. :blink:

Troy

post-2351-1114731835_thumb.jpg

Troy?!?!  I thought he parked his truck in the safe area...well, maybe that was his brother's truck?

Nah, somebody parked a fence post right in front of where my brother's truck was going. And yes, Kath, I got that wrinkle fixed. More expensive than Botox....damn. :blink:

Here's a pic of my new one. No wrinkles yet. :)

Troy

Troy,

That the whole reason I bought a truck, so I could do that at the tailgate of matches and have my own little safe/dry fire area! :lol:

Seriously, I had an RO get after me at this year's Fl Open in the safe area. I was dry firing and practicing dry mag changes with an empty mag in the morning when I heard this shrieking scream "HEY, HEY don't you stick that mag in the gun again! Take it out right now!" I took the mag out, and for the hell of it, checked the gun and holstered. Now, I've shot at Frank's range half dozen times a year for the last 6 years, I KNOW what Frank's rules are. I also know what our USPSA rules are. I've seen every top GM shooter do dry mag changes all the time.

After he said that, several people, including a few other RO's, got his attention and went over to talk with him. I wasn't close enough to hear what they were telling him, but I think it was something to the effect of, "Hey knock it off, you're in the wrong, he's allowed to do that."

He was an adult about it though, because when I went to shoot the stage he was RO on, he came up and apologized to me. I told him no problem and I knew he was just being safe, but maybe a little calmer next time.

Troy,

That the whole reason I bought a truck, so I could do that at the tailgate of matches and have my own little safe/dry fire area! :lol:

Of course. I understand completely. :P

Glad to hear the RO was a big boy about it. Nice when things work out well. I once stopped one of the top lady shooters heading into the safe area with a box of ammo and a little bag full of magazines. :o No harm, no foul, though--caught a major case of brain fade just in time... :)

Troy

Kevin wrote: "I also know what our USPSA rules are. I've seen every top GM shooter do dry mag changes all the time. "

Amen. I have practiced mag changes in the safe area & will continue to do so at all sanctioned USPSA events.

Kevin also wrote: "After he said that, several people, including a few other RO's, got his attention and went over to talk with him. . . I think it was something to the effect of, "Hey knock it off, you're in the wrong, he's allowed to do that."

Again, many of us are happy to help out in teaching our fellow ROs who may not be aware of this nuance of the USPSA & IPSC rules, with the appropriate degree of respect of course. Respectful sportsmanship is an important aspect of every USPSA event.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com