Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz sp-01 mag issues

tcazes

This weekend I had a couple issues with the factory 18rnd mags.

One mag was causing the slide to drop before fully seating and it wouldn't allow the slide to strip a round.

The other mag would strip the round but not completely chamber the round and when the slide was racked back to clear the round it would feed two up into the chamber.

What would cause these issues? The mags drop freely and positively lock into place/function normally if inserted into the gun with the slide forward already but when inserted into the gun with the slide back it would reek havoc.

I gave up on factory 18 round magazines, I was having similar issues. Switched to Mec-Gar 16 and 17 rounds mags and haven't had a problem since.

Same here. I use factory mags for practice only.

This weekend I had a couple issues with the factory 18rnd mags.

One mag was causing the slide to drop before fully seating and it wouldn't allow the slide to strip a round.

The other mag would strip the round but not completely chamber the round and when the slide was racked back to clear the round it would feed two up into the chamber.

What would cause these issues? The mags drop freely and positively lock into place/function normally if inserted into the gun with the slide forward already but when inserted into the gun with the slide back it would reek havoc.

I had exactly the same issue as mentioned here for the second magazine: It would strip the round but not completely chamber the round, and when the slide was racked back to clear the round, it would feed two into the chamber.

I cannot explain what was causing it, but I returned the magazine for an exchange, and the replacement magazine (along with the other five stock CZ 18-round magazines I own) work fine.

But I have +10 replacement springs on order from Woolff, and when they arrive, I intend to replace the springs in all my CZ stock 18-round magazines.

My only issue with going to mecgars is the gun is already 41.5 oz and the legal Idpa limit is 43 oz. I don't want to cut too close to that. Also I LOVE the base pads of the stock mags so I almost hate to give them up :( guess I will order a couple mecgars and give them a try and see if the gun makes weight.

Glad I'm not the only one with these issues!!!

Edited by tcazes

or make it in the box with the Mecgar's

I have been shooting the Factory mags for over 6 years between my SP-01 Tactical and SP-01 Shadow Custom and have not had a problem. could be lips out of spec or you have 40sw mags instead of 9mm. also sounds like issue with the slide release may be issue.

Definitely not a slide release issue since it only does it with one of my six mags. Both very well could be feed lip related. I may order a tuning kit and work on them

I. like Bam Bam, have been shooting with factory 18 rnd mags since starting Production years ago. The only problems I've experience were caused by me, and one case of feed lips out of spec most likely due to being stepped on. Adjusted the lips and no issues.

Seen several threads about factory mag problems, and I've gotten 7 plus years from my original, factory mags and no complaints. Has me puzzled as to why....

Seems many of the issues are corrected by changing mags which make me think maybe the problem(s) are caused by out of spec mags -- either caused by use or not correct when new.

I'll definitely post back after I have a chance to work on them. I plan to adjust everything to the specs of my most consistently working mag. I'll update everyone soon

I plan on doing something similar to this

I have tried to do that. It works; however, once a month or even more often I have to re-tune them again and again. The factory CZ mags are just not solid enough. Looks like they are made from thinner aluminum compared to Mec-gar.

Curious whether you cats in the US are getting different "factory" mags than the rest of us? Anybody know?

I know in NZ, the factory Shadow mags (18 round with basepad) run like clockwork - six figures and counting without problem (or spring change) for quite a few of us. Not sure there's much complaint from the ROW either????

not really sure. I mean the issues im having have been fairly consistent and its only on certain mag tubes regardless of which set of springs I have in them. iv swapped springs around to try and troubleshoot and had no difference. im almost POSITIVE I just have some feed lips out of adjustment. really no big deal honestly I was just curious if anyone else had issues lol

those 18 round mags are also made by MecGar, for CZ.

The new 19 round mags are basically an upgrade, they have a lip that comes up the front of the mag to stop that other round from moving forward when the top round is fed into the chamber.

As for tuning, I just used to smack mine with a brass hammer and make them slightly tapered. Those 18 round mags use a thinner metal than the 19 and easily spread over time, especially if you're dumping them on concrete floors partially loaded. As well they would split at the back where the feed lips joined into the body due to the 90 degree formation there. The new mags are more of a semi circle there so no splitting.

Thanks very much for taking the time to share the video. And the comment about mags occasionally coming from the factory out of spec certainly makes sense. I have shot two matches rotating my magazines as often as possible since I exchanged the one giving me trouble and haven't had any more problems. My Woolff +10 % springs should be here in a few days, and now I've seen the video, I'll know what to look for in the way of lips specs. Coincidentally, the gentleman that made the video is a shooter that shoots at the same range I do, so I may have the advantage of seeking his guidance if I need to tune any mags!

Edited by 45 Raven

Well aren't you a lucky Raven! He may be able to help for sure! At major matches I do NOT rotate mags. I find a set that work and stick with them until something goes wonky then I'll swap it for another known good mag. My mecgar 17 rnders should be here Saturday then I'll load up some ammo for a range test.

shot the local match yesterday with the mecgars I have and they were perfect. Course I also swapped a 11 lb spring into the sp01. There was a cz so01 shadow there and we compared mags, the mecgars are surprisingly thicker, and just feel more substantial. Not to say that means anything, but for the upcoming bigger match I'm going to be running the mecgars. I'll still work on the sp01 mags, but I'm not entirely sure you gain a whole lot more with them. The basepad is nice, but unless you're running a magwell that requires a larger basepad the mecgars seem to be relatively equal.