Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in the DOT

Chillywig

A common approach is zero the dot for the most common tight shots you see in matches. (Largely a subjective number)

I choose spot on at 18 yards. Obviously knowing what that gives you for poi at all distances is paramount.

I've seen some guys zero at 50 but not so keen on it myself. Have seen very few targets at that range, but a whole lot of plate racks at 15-20.

There are lots of other threads on this, a search will get you some good Intel with some other perspectives.

Whatever distance you sight in for, you have to "hold over for the close targets",

because the dot is couple inches above the bore.

Wherever you sight it in, know where it hits at 3 yards, 15 yards and 40 yards,

and you'll be fine.

I sight in for 50 yards, and it's pretty close at 15 yards as well - still have to aim

high for those very close headshots. :cheers:

I sight my 90 degree C-More mount Open gun at 15 yards. This makes it a little high at 25 and a little low at 5 yards but nothing dramatic. The majority of difficult shots we see in USPSA matches that punish us for being off vertically are usually in the 15 yard distance. Beyond that, most of the "Punishment" for being off vertically is in the down direction so I would rather hedge my bets to be a little high on the far stuff verses dead on or a little low.

The more surprising thing to me is how much the bullet weight changed the POI from close to far. When testing 115gr bullets against 124gr bullets the 124's had twice as much vertical drift from 5 yards to 25 yards verses the 115's when both were zeroed at 15 yards. The sideways 90 degree C-More mount also reduces this vertical drift as well since the dot is closer to the bore axis verses a normal upright scope mount.

With my bullet & scope mount setup along with a 15 yard zero I usually don't have to even consider the vertical drift from close to far. I simply put the dot on my aiming spot and break the shot and it results in a good hit 99% of the time.

I sight my 90 degree C-More mount Open gun at 15 yards. This makes it a little high at 25 and a little low at 5 yards but nothing dramatic. The majority of difficult shots we see in USPSA matches that punish us for being off vertically are usually in the 15 yard distance.

With my bullet & scope mount setup along with a 15 yard zero I usually don't have to even consider the vertical drift from close to far. I simply put the dot on my aiming spot and break the shot and it results in a good hit 99% of the time.

+1

I zero at like 18 (I don't actually measure, I just throw it out there and walk back 18 paces or so) and experience the same thing. Up close, it hits pretty much on. Far away, it hits pretty much on. Good enough.

You are gonna lose more on far targets with your trigger press than you will with your vertical drift, IMHO

I read through a few threads/pages from way back about distances and settled on 18 yards as well with a vertical mounted Cmore. I'll be re-zeroing mine this weekend after last weekends fiasco on not loctiting my mount bolts before the zeroing day.

I read through a few threads/pages from way back about distances and settled on 18 yards as well with a vertical mounted Cmore. I'll be re-zeroing mine this weekend after last weekends fiasco on not loctiting my mount bolts before the zeroing day.

Wile you are zeroing. Bench shoot at 7, 25 and 50 also. That way you will know exactly where your poi is at those distances too. Little extra time for accurate Intel on your set up ;)

Wile you are zeroing. Bench shoot at 7, 25 and 50 also. That way you will know exactly where your poi is at those distances too. Little extra time for accurate Intel on your set up ;)

That I will be doing! I'm thinking I may do a few strings of fire on a 3 target array at 5, 10, 15yds, then shift them to 7, 15, 25 to work on my dot placement. I may work in A/B zone hold overs for that as well if I have enough time.

Edited by ScottieShootz

I like to sight in at 50 yrds. I sight in at the top edge of my 6 moa dot as close as possible. Then I verify at 25 yrd, that I am dead nuts on. Finally at 10 yrds I am at the bottom edge of my dot. This puts everything from about 10-50yrds in the red and inside 10 yrds who really sees the dot anyway!

Edited by Hello