Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Step in Open Pistol Evolution?

Rudukai13

... weird and exotic, like a double barrel semiauto 38 super comp with a 60 round mag that shoots ipsc target seeking ammo? Maybe we should stick with improving our skills to gain an edge. For me, open division is a blast but agree with most, an improvement in the optics department would be a huge leap forward. If leupold would use an Aimpoint bright dot on their DPP with little bit bigger window or cmore would shorten up that ugly slide ride. Let's face it, it's a lot about looks. When you pull your mount and slideride off, it looks cool as hell. With the 'I would rather hide it' slide on, ... well, you tell me. Most only use it (slideride) because the options are almost zero considering the reliability concerns of the other. As for the cost, most have a $1500+ scope on their $1000 3Gun AR, so a $600 dot on a $5000 open gun seems reasonable. If only a manufacture would make a reliable completion style optic with a bright dot that looks cool, they would dominate. Maybe if I glue the top half of my RTS2 to th bottom half my leupold ddp???

... weird and exotic, like a double barrel semiauto 38 super comp with a 60 round mag that shoots ipsc target seeking ammo? Maybe we should stick with improving our skills to gain an edge. For me, open division is a blast but agree with most, an improvement in the optics department would be a huge leap forward. If leupold would use an Aimpoint bright dot on their DPP with little bit bigger window or cmore would shorten up that ugly slide ride. Let's face it, it's a lot about looks. When you pull your mount and slideride off, it looks cool as hell. With the 'I would rather hide it' slide on, ... well, you tell me. Most only use it (slideride) because the options are almost zero considering the reliability concerns of the other. As for the cost, most have a $1500+ scope on their $1000 3Gun AR, so a $600 dot on a $5000 open gun seems reasonable. If only a manufacture would make a reliable completion style optic with a bright dot that looks cool, they would dominate. Maybe if I glue the top half of my RTS2 to th bottom half my leupold ddp???

Add in an option for a Green Dot. I use red only because there is no other option.

Yeah my dream optic would be:

Available in plastic or alloy body like current cmores

Adjustable brightness

Replaceable dot modules with wide selection of dots in red and green

Glass same size or even a little larger than current cmore

More common battery type

Make the scope and mount 1 piece. Can then likely remove it without re-zeroing and would get it nice and low to the slide.

powder. without the advancement, we would not be shooting major 9.

I saw guys shooting 9 major in IPSC in Argentina in 1997. Using Win 540. Old power factor of 175, probably shooting at 185.

Edited by dvc4you

Adjustable brightness

More common battery type

Make the scope and mount 1 piece. Can then likely remove it without re-zeroing and would get it nice and low to the slide.

All the electronics integrated in the mount so the glass sits right down on the slide

Adjustable brightness

More common battery type

All the electronics integrated in the mount so the glass sits right down on the slide

Exactly. :)

Most of the series development in Open was done years ago, really very little has changed since '93. Back then Matt McLearn wok the worlds with a Hicap frame, Caspian in his case but the McCormick (STI) frames existed back then, C-More, and a Hybrid barrel. Still pretty much what we use today. Sure there are some more decorative models these days but functionally nothing really has changed. Exotic calibers, 9x25, 9x23, 9x40 all tried and fell by the wayside to 9mm and .38 super which has been used since the '80's. Various materials have been tried but still a steel Caspian slide on a least a partially steel frame is what is still in use. Tanfolglio pistols were the rage until the Hicap 1911 frames came along but only see a fraction of the market of 1911 based designs.

Unless a major new frame design comes along, or entire pistol to challenge the 1911, (Wolff pistol tried) which I don't see anytime soon, I don't foresee any major changes to Open guns in the near future. Really what we are seeing mostly is Limited/Standard guns and production guns developing closer and closer to Open guns.

Adjustable brightness

More common battery type

Someone actually designed and made a prototype of what I would consider the most amazing Open Division optic ever, but he never followed through. It has been a few years and nothing yet. :( such a shame.

I'm sure you can find the original thread by searching this forum, and I believe pics are still on the internet somewhere.

Adjustable brightness

More common battery type

Someone actually designed and made a prototype of what I would consider the most amazing Open Division optic ever, but he never followed through. It has been a few years and nothing yet. :( such a shame.

I'm sure you can find the original thread by searching this forum, and I believe pics are still on the internet somewhere.

He is Jared Drinkwater of binary engineering. He makes those fancy Ti comps and ELS brackets as well. But I am still sad that the scope isn't finished yet..

One of the recent developments in open guns that have actually gotten more people into shooting open in Norway recently is the CZ Czechmate. A complete race ready open gun out of the box that actually doesn't need gunsmithing before you start using it. All the seasoned veterans are saying that well, it's not as good as a 2011....you'll end up with a 2011 eventually.

Well, maybe, but this gun works, you can take it straight to the range or match and start shooting, and it's cheaper than most common 2011s. You don't have to break it in, change extractors or whatever to make it run. They're getting increasingly common around here lately.

One of the recent developments in open guns that have actually gotten more people into shooting open in Norway recently is the CZ Czechmate. A complete race ready open gun out of the box that actually doesn't need gunsmithing before you start using it. All the seasoned veterans are saying that well, it's not as good as a 2011....you'll end up with a 2011 eventually.

Well, maybe, but this gun works, you can take it straight to the range or match and start shooting, and it's cheaper than most common 2011s. You don't have to break it in, change extractors or whatever to make it run. They're getting increasingly common around here lately.

The same can be said of the CK Arms open blasters.

I can point out to you 3 or 4 different guys with CK arms if you want at next wintercup R6 slemmo

We have them, its just that slemmo doesnt care for anyone without a CZ :P

(Also I think he might have a time telling the 2011s apart)