Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC vs STI Edge

jbecker

Hello

Wanted to get people's opinion on the STI DVC as compared to the STI Edge, both in 40 cal for limited major. Is the DVC worth the extra cost over the Edge? Or how about a Brazos tuned Edge vs the DVC, which both are around the same cost?

The DVC has a MUCH more lightened slide than the Edge. Some people feel that it is much snappier than the Edge and need a Thumbrest/*thumb rest [generic]* to get control of it.

The Brazos tuned Edge is like the standard STI Edge, but has been cleaned up. If you are a higher tier shooter and feel like you are "waiting for the slide to close" for your second shot, get the DVC. (in my opinion). If you are just starting in Limited, you will be able to shoot an Edge (replace the front sight and do a trigger job) or the Brazos Edge (don't need to do anything but shoot the gun) for years without outgrowing the gun.

My virtually bone stock Edge has 40k rounds on it, and still shoots better than I do, and I made A class with it. I have shot the DVC and custom lightened slide guns. They feel very different to me, but at my skill level, it is about time for me to upgrade.

I agree with this. Unless you are a rock star....

If you are starting out, worst thing in the world is a gun that gives you issues. You can not concentrate on improving you shooting with a gun not running as close to 100% as possible. I think a Brazos tuned Edge will get you to the point that you really should get a custom built pistol.

Guaranteed, i'ts not the gun until high A class, and potentially Master.

Get something reliable (Brazos Edge for example) and work on skills. You could buy an Infinity SVI, but its better to spend money on bullets and training rather than the tool.

Good Luck!

From someones perspective who just started out I can tell you a few things. I can shoot it decently, I'll start out in high B class. The gun is more violent feeling than a heavier gun, from what I'm experiencing now, I've went through 7 or 8 different powder and bullet combinations until I got the softest shooting load I could. Now I'm adding weight to the gun "which is turn you're spending money on a gun that's already more expensive then the edge." , however by adding things to the gun like a tungsten guide rod/reverse plug and maybe a set of steel grips you drastically change the way the gun feels. If and when you get to the point of being a rock star and you need to run the gun faster, you can always take some of that weight away. If you buy say an "edge" you can take weight away but you're going to pay for the milling etc. Either way the dvc is going to be more expensive, but not by as much as you think since the trigger in it is basically good to go and the front sight on the dvc needs to be changed "IMO" it's .100's, needs to be a .90 Fiber optic in my opinion.

There are a lot of high level shooters shooting a heavy gun, and vice versa, Heavier will feel less harsh and probably help you shoot better starting out, something I didn't know before I jumped into the rabbit hole.. Now I'm going through the headache and asking everyone and their mother advice on how to tame my DVC down a little bit. Because just the load/bullet alone isn't going to do it. Anyway, if you decide to get the DVC I will try to point you in the right directions as many people have done for me to get it feeling good for you.

Either way both great guns. One thing I will say is my DVC has about 3k-4k rounds in it now without a single failure. This includes reloads and some short factory ammo.

Edited by jtrump

Brazos tuned Edge is a better choice. Bob's guns have always worked 100% for me. I have 3 guns built by Bob. If you decide later on to go with a lighter slide you can purchase one of the Brazo slides with lightning cuts.

I have a DVC in 40. I'm comming from singlestack shooting .45acp 230gr over clays making 170PF. I ran 300 rounds of WWB 165's through the STI and 300 rounds of clays .45acp on my Single Stack - The STI shot softer and recoiled less while making very close to the same PF. The difference for me was in slide cycle time, I've shot radically lightened 2011 bushing guns in making the decision to switch to limited - to me the DVC with the fixed forward weight of the Bull Barrel, long dust cover, and FLG negates any ill effects of the lightened slide in recoil while taking full advantage of the reduced reciprocating mass knocking out most of the "nose dive" on slide close (ran it with the stock recoil spring have since changed to 12lb and nose dive is non-existent now) combined with just some break in ammo not tuned for "soft" feel It noticably out performed the steel framed 1911.

I own a DVC... If I had it to do over I think I might just get a CK Thunder. ;)

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Thunder-Limited-Gun-40SW-Black-Out-Classic-Light-Rail-P3890.aspx

The more I learn about CK the better i like them.... ;)

Will this be similar to a tuned Limited?

Been looking but have not made a commitment.

Myron

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CK-Arms-Thunder-Limited-Gun-40SW-Black-Out-Classic-Light-Rail-P3890.aspx

Myron

My take on it is it's a Batch Built, "no options" Custom gun. "no options" in that you can't call up and say I want it with "XYX" barrel or things like that...

But it's built in the same shop, to the same standards and by the same people that build the "Freedom Arms" custom guns. And they are built with what most folks WOULD order...

Plus... Lifetime warranty and you have a real person to call IF you need help. I don't know of anybody that has had to work on a CK after getting it to get it to "run". I've got a fair amount of time and effort in my DVC. It runs and runs well but I've worked on loads (long OAL), bought tuned magazines ( MBX ) and changed recoil springs to get it to 100%.

Also your classification/skill does not make a difference. Buy the gun you like, shoot the heck out of it, and be happy. Vogel has proven you don't need a $8000 hand built gun to win, and buying one isn't going to make anyone any better. I would say that most people are more likely to practice with a gun they enjoy, but your mileage may vary.

Myron

My take on it is it's a Batch Built, "no options" Custom gun. "no options" in that you can't call up and say I want it with "XYX" barrel or things like that...

But it's built in the same shop, to the same standards and by the same people that build the "Freedom Arms" custom guns. And they are built with what most folks WOULD order...

Plus... Lifetime warranty and you have a real person to call IF you need help. I don't know of anybody that has had to work on a CK after getting it to get it to "run". I've got a fair amount of time and effort in my DVC. It runs and runs well but I've worked on loads (long OAL), bought tuned magazines ( MBX ) and changed recoil springs to get it to 100%.

Great information.

Thank you for the reply.

Myron