Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta C-mags-> Any Good?

Hulk

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 16" rifle with a vertical grip and have no problems with the Beta Mag getting in the way.

A friend of mine says his forearm hits the beta when getting a grip on his 16" gun, but is not bad on his 20".

Before I used a Ready Mag, and I dont think the Beta is much heavier than the Ready mag with two loaded magazines on the rifle.

The Beta also makes a good base when going prone. Sometimes it is a little low, I am thinking about making a "base pad" for the Beta to raise it up a hair. I think with that it would be almost as good as a bipod.

Edited by Erik Warren

They're not necessary. Most of your high round counts stages are in the high 30's/low 40's. With that many targets, you'll have plenty of time to make one 30 round magazine reload and that will cover you for the rest of the stage plus any extra shots you may need to take. The Beta's are nice to play with, but they do reduce your handling and transition speeds. If you want a high capacity magazine, find a good (read-Sterling) 40 rd. magazine or an extended capacity Thermold (45 rounds.) Install an ISMI 40 rd. magazine spring/Green follower and you'll never have any problems and it should solve all of your high round count stage problems.

Erik

I'm going to use the Beta-C this weekend in a match and so far its been reliable. The plus side is you don't have to do a reload during a stage. The downside is the weight as they are more than the same number of rounds for standard magazines, i.e. 60 rnds in the Beta-C weigh about 3lbs 8oz. while two 30 rnd mags weigh about 2lbs. A VG helps with weight and swing ability.

... but are you going to use it? ;)

How about a vertical forgrip? I bought one and it seems to work pretty good for me. I used to do biathalons so I like locking my elbow into my side for long shot (some habits die hard) and with the vertical grip I can do that easier. Any thing really dumb about it for 3-gun? I've only done a few matches so I'm pretty dumb about them.

... but are you going to use it? ;)

How about a vertical forgrip?  I bought one and it seems to work pretty good for me. I used to do biathalons so I like locking my elbow into my side for long shot (some habits die hard) and with the vertical grip I can do that easier. Any thing really dumb about it for 3-gun? I've only done a few matches so I'm pretty dumb about them.

I have one on mine and like it. I can get a better hold on the rifle and hold it steadier.

Also when used with a Beta Mag on some stages I can put the grip on the ground when going prone so it works almost like a monopod for long distance shots.