Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best passive ear muffs?

Honeybooboo

I do a lot of indoor shooting and have tried different types of ear pro. I've been disappointed by electronic hearing pro. Howard Leight Impacts IMO are terrible. Don't deal well and don't block anything. Haven't tried MSA's yet but I hear mixed things so hesitant to buy some.

My favorite pair so far has been cheap Browning buckmarks. They seal extremely well and block a ton of noise. Very uncomfortable though. So is there a good set of passive muffs that have gel cups or something?

I typically double up too. Foam plugs to protect the inner ear and muffs for the mid ear.

I was about to buy some MSA's then saw they only had a NRR of 18. Left me wondering why they are so expensive

I read an extensive article once, and basically they are the only company that doesn't lie about their NRR rating. Most companies publish the NRR rating at a certain frequency or something that isn't realistic at all. Conclusion of the story was that the MSA's have the same amount of noise reduction as companies claiming 30+. Also, the cost is due to the electronics used and the build quality and comfort.

I strongly recommend the MSAs with the gel ear cups. Don't get wrapped around the NRR rating. They are the top of the heap when it comes to ear protection. Mine have been flawless after 8 years and you'll want to double plug if you shoot indoors with open shooters regardless of what you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peltor Ultimate 10s and Pro Ears Ultra are the most comfortable high dB ear muffs I have found.

The pro ears looks really good. I like the NRR of the bigger ones but they looks so bulky. The slim ones look a lot more comfortable and still offer good protection. Definitely going to try one of them though thanks.

Bulky is better for sound attenuation. I use the Peltor Untimate 10 ear muffs. They are rated at 30dB attenuation and they work. Their performance is at least -30dB and probably a bit more. I ordered a set of replacement ear cups at the same time. The muffs will last almost forever, but not the ear cups. I don't have to double protect like some who use lesser muffs do. That being said, couple these with foam or molder ear plugs and you won't care how loud the loudest Open gun is.

If you want more attenuation and don't like the bulk or feels of muffs, get custom plugs molded by someone who knows what they are doing. You can get over 33dB (half as loud as 30dB) of attenuation using them.

I've got a set of caldwells but never use them anymore.I bought a cheap set from harbor freight for 15.00 bucks electronic ones you can hear very well with these but only thru one side but hearing normal talking is no problem and when the shooting starts they work better than the caldwells.