Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team - 38 Super vs. 40 S&W

More info on why no go on the 40 please Atlas.....

#1 25-26 rounds in a big stick vs 29-30

#2 minimum bullet weight for major is 112gr, but the lightest available in 40 is 135gr, they cost more and aren't as accurate.

The real question is: what's drawing you to 40? Do you want to make major with factory ammo? If so stick to Limited.

I already have a GT in 40 S&W ( bought it and a Limited basically at the same time), love it, just considering getting one in 38 Super.

Most of the stages we shoot out here seem to be around 30-33 rounds, the GT 40 with Henning base pads will load 21 rounds, so there is going to be 1 mag change on either.

So I am mostly curious about the recoil difference. (the 40 is not bad at all...just was wondering what to expect with a 38), plus curious about loading 38 Super.

You mentioned a Big Stick....where do you get one for a Tanfoglio?
Thanks

Edited by DenverDave

DenverDave as you said most open shooters usually run 38 or 9 for the extra rounds.

You can get a 38Super big stick ( 170mm magazine ) from EAA.

Loading 38 is straight forward, there are many different powders and load combinations in 38 to choose from, so you'll easily find a recoil that feels good to you and possibly softer and flatter than the 40.

As you said, with stages set up at 33 rounds, everyone will need to make a mag change somewhere.

So if you like shooting the 40, your set up for it, and your fine with the recoil, then by all means keep going with it.

But you might be happier with the 38 platform, you won't know until you try it and compare for yourself.

On occasion those few extra rounds may help you in making a decision on how you address a course of fire, and might possibly give you a faster time.

Edited by gunnit

I had a .40 open gun before my 38 super now. Recoil isn't a big difference. Used 135 nosler jhp and longshot in the .40 it was pretty flat. Mag capacity is the only big difference. If you don't think it would save you many reloads I'd stick with what you have.

The V12 GT is a special animal, so even someone with 40 Open experience on a 2011 is going to have little to tell you you don't already know. When it comes to a 40 GT you're the expert!

While I imagine 38 V12 shoot flatter to one degree or another I know from experience it's not "soft" by any stretch of the imagination and the difference in feel will likely be small. So if you're going to make the switch to 38 I suggest you build a custom with a better comp and fewer holes.

This is a little off base, but I have a CZ Tactical Sport and a Witness Elite in .40, both of which I shoot in Limited Major and a 9mm Gold Team which I shoot in Open. The felt recoil at major power is virtually identical across all 3 guns.

In the US, getting a 170mm magazine would not appear to be trivial. I had one built out of two welded mags - it apparently works for 9mm and .28.

Dave,

You already know how I feel about the 40GT. Mine is extremely accurate and fast, but it would be interesting to see which one you prefer if you buy a 38 Super. I think in the USPSA arena, more is better, with everything else being equal. As far as plates go, I can hold my own against the 38 Supers and 9mm here in the Cinci area. But at 57, time is running out.

Edited by Big Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Not for my money. In a 2011 open 9 or super run basically the same (9 needs generally some more mag setup and ejection tuning). In a tanfog gt super is the way to go. There are powders I use that are compressed loads in a super case. I wouldn't be able to make major with those in a 9.

Plus the large frame action is desiged around a super (1.250) length cartridge. The mags work great in super and the guns are very reliable.

If you were building one with custom comp and 2 or 3 ports 9 is an option but factory v12 is super only in my eyes.