Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Name that compensator!

LowryWeaponsSystems

Hi guys, I just recently purchased a 38super thru a friend of a friend who pased away and all we know is it was built in the 90s by an unknown gunsmith.

I'd like find out more info on this comp, maybe it could help point me to who built it. Also this could help out on where to start out on some load data. So if anyone has any ideas as to what comp this may be PLEASE chime in!

post-62034-0-69121900-1456672382_thumb.j

I missed the nozzel all together, Bob did make some like that as well as John Nowlin. Robbie Leatham used a comp made by Bob on his open 9. It had 5 ports up and a bleeder port out the side of the first port, with the nozzel. Is the barrel a Nowlin barrel, Aaron Harris that used to build open guns used the Nowlin comps and then made some extra cuts to call it his. If it was a Nowlin built gun, it probably would be marked as such.

Another thing that appeared to me is that the floor of the front 2 ports appear rounded on the bottom, Nowlins were cut flat or square without a radius. I always believed in the nozzel, just more machining that the smiths did not want to do.

That might be the same guy

I think he got into making air soft parts after he shutdown his gunsmithing shop

try googling gun games magazine, there was an article about him and a $10,000 open gun

That's big money today, that was insane money 15-20 years ago when it was written

• 2 weeks later...

Nowlin had a compensator that looks exactly like that one. Smoking Hole gunsmiths frequently used that comp.

Do you have any information on Smoking Hole? google provided nothing as far as I found, only a bunch of airsoft crap shows up.

Smoking Hole was shut down in 2001. Aaron Harris' LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaron-harris-907668b4that lists his current businesses.