Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow and hate it

GARD72977

Before the weight restriction in CO was raised, I shot a polymer gun (P-09) and I can attest that a lighter gun has some serious advantages in some situations, but I went with the Shadow due to the trigger. IF someone designed a CGW's T-3 Disco for the P-09 I would most likely go back to the P-09.

I agree with this.. I came from M&P to the CZ. It's not the weight of the gun or the recoil that really sold me it's the ridiculously good trigger... My tricked out from CZC accu has the best trigger I could want on a handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll just leave this here. Just pulled tonight...

IMG_20160301_202408_zps5ar42wso.jpg

Mines a tad heavier but still sub 2#. It's incredible what they can do with these guns. I would be happy with this trigger (SA anyway) on a limited or open gun...

In fact it's kinda made me consider tac sport or checkmate if I ever make the jump to limited or open.

Edited by shooterDrew

I can match the times in the video with a IDPA vest on and doing a slide lock reload. Just not sure I can ever do it with a heavy gun.

Yea but have you got anybody that can make that noise the spectator makes after a good run ?

Anyway, split times are interesting, I was thinking that physics favors the heavier gun (not so in transitions or draws) so doing better with a lighter gun is most likely about shooting what you are most practiced with ?

Before the weight restriction in CO was raised, I shot a polymer gun (P-09) and I can attest that a lighter gun has some serious advantages in some situations, but I went with the Shadow due to the trigger. IF someone designed a CGW's T-3 Disco for the P-09 I would most likely go back to the P-09.

I agree with this.. I came from M&P to the CZ. It's not the weight of the gun or the recoil that really sold me it's the ridiculously good trigger... My tricked out from CZC accu has the best trigger I could want on a handgun.

I may be missing something... I tried to switch form MP9 to CZC shadows. The one I spent $1500 on last year from CZC did not have sub 2lbs SA trigger. It was about the same as the APEX trigger on the MP9. I did not have a digital trigger gauge, but the spring gauge showed it's in the 3lbs range.

Do you have to specifically ask CZC to make the SA go below 2lbs? All the CZC shadows I have seen have 3-3.5lbs SA triggers, including one shot by a GM and a bunch others by M/A class. Some Mink shadow I have seen have 2.5lbs triggers.

You know polymer guns can have sub 2lbs triggers too, and done by a drop-in kit. They can be as clean and smooth as the CZ SA trigger, at least the ones I have tried, but again I have not seen a 1.5lbs CZ SA trigger before. So what do I know.

I may be missing something... I tried to switch form MP9 to CZC shadows. The one I spent $1500 on last year from CZC did not have sub 2lbs SA trigger. It was about the same as the APEX trigger on the MP9. I did not have a digital trigger gauge, but the spring gauge showed it's in the 3lbs range.

Do you have to specifically ask CZC to make the SA go below 2lbs? All the CZC shadows I have seen have 3-3.5lbs SA triggers, including one shot by a GM and a bunch others by M/A class. Some Mink shadow I have seen have 2.5lbs triggers.

You know polymer guns can have sub 2lbs triggers too, and done by a drop-in kit. They can be as clean and smooth as the CZ SA trigger, at least the ones I have tried, but again I have not seen a 1.5lbs CZ SA trigger before. So what do I know.

For my gun I ordered the race trigger job from CZC. That comes with a modified 13lbs mainspring. Replacing the mainspring with a CGW 8.5 lbs mainspring dropped the weight on DA considerably-- to around 4.75#-- and the SA measured 1.75#. For that set up only federal primers work. I have a bunch of S&B primers and it will not set those off reliably at all. No fail to fire with the federal primers tho. I use an 11.5# mainspring for my non federal primed loads and have no FTF issues. That brings the DA pull up to probably 5.5# and the SA right around 2#. When doing dry fire and drooling over how smooth the trigger is I definitely prefer the 8.5# spring. It's crazy good. But when the buzzer beeps I really can't tell any difference between the heavier spring and shoot the 11.5# set up more because all my practice loads are S&B primers.

When I initially received the gun CZC had failed to perform the trigger job. The DA pull was around 8 and the SA was over 3.. Maybe 3.5 I can't remember. But it was noticeably heavier and not as smooth. They immediately remedied the situation and sent me a label to return the gun for the trigger job. I'm extremely happy with the gun.

Edited by shooterDrew

This http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191773 .

He leaves it with a heavier mainspring so it was significantly heavier than you can get with 8.5# and federal primers only but if you want sub 3 lb that thread will get you there. I am pretty sure CZ custom sends everything out set up to pretty much work with the hardest primers on the planet. The folks I have asked in my area seem to be shooting 4.5# d.a. and slightly sub 2.5# s.a. as a general rule, my guns are right at 4.5 and 2.3 but I have a pretty cheap trigger gauge so I am sure that is + or - a smidge.

With my M&P I did not really experiment much with my trigger.. I put an Apex sear and kept all the stock springs. The trigger was decently crisp but probably around 5#. I ran that gun last season and went from initial B class to A by mid year, I'm confident it was not the gun holding me back from M.

I also have a flat faced apex set up in another M&P that's a little lighter but I am really not a big fan of that trigger, it seems less crisp and kinda springy, if that makes any sense. Recently I dry fired a XDM tricked out from powder river, or something like that, it had a very impressive trigger.

In the end I'm sure there are many options for a great trigger in many different guns... But for my money the CZ Accu I got from CZC is all I could want.

I put a t3 disco in, fit it, polish trigger bar/sear/hammer/strut, 8.5# main spring, CZC hammer.Use fed primers only.

What was that talk about slow CZ splits? Lol

Edited by TJART

As stated above, it's all about the springs, I am a serious trigger snob, but also as stated when the buzzer goes off who can tel the difference between a 1.75 oz. and a 2.99 oz trigger. I use a CGW 11.5, the CZC hammer spring that came in the gun looks like a clipped 13# spring. CGW 8.5# spring is insane good, but is it necessary?

Edited to add: I thing a short reset on the SA is much more important than a sub 2# trigger

Edited by zhunter

As stated above, it's all about the springs, I am a serious trigger snob, but also as stated when the buzzer goes off who can tel the difference between a 1.75 oz. and a 2.99 oz trigger. I use a CGW 11.5, the CZC hammer spring that came in the gun looks like a clipped 13# spring. CGW 8.5# spring is insane good, but is it necessary?

Edited to add: I thing a short reset on the SA is much more important than a sub 2# trigger

With the t3 disco, I eliminated SA pre-travel. So...

And, I've noticed a tremendous difference in my 1st shot placement when I switched to the 8.5#.

Edit:

Edited by TJART

I'll try a 8.5# spring next week, not gonna change before this Saturday's match in Gainesville

What disco do you have?

CZC disco.

New one on the way will get the CGW's T-3 disco

There will be a dramatic drop between the czc disco and when you install the t3. So don't get caught up in numbers, putting the 8.5# in right now. Also, when you drop the t3, remember that the front part of disco deals with the SA pre-travel, and the curve deals with the "stack" of the DA. Fit and adjust as you see fit.

Edit:

Aqua is DA stack/pull

Red is SA pre-travel

78e022b3-d49a-4ddc-94ff-810ad622f84c_zps

Edit 2:

I hadn't yet polished the hammer in the first pic, but I've gotten to it now. You'll want polish where the hammer rides in the frame.

20160225_201854_zpswbonldbk.jpg

Edited by TJART

I'll try a 8.5# spring next week, not gonna change before this Saturday's match in Gainesville

What disco do you have?

CZC disco.

New one on the way will get the CGW's T-3 disco

There will be a dramatic drop between the czc disco and when you install the t3. So don't get caught up in numbers, putting the 8.5# in right now. Also, when you drop the t3, remember that the front part of disco deals with the SA pre-travel, and the curve deals with the "stack" of the DA. Fit and adjust as you see fit.

Edit:

Aqua is DA stack/pull

Red is SA pre-travel

78e022b3-d49a-4ddc-94ff-810ad622f84c_zps

Edit 2:

I hadn't yet polished the hammer in the first pic, but I've gotten to it now. You'll want polish where the hammer rides in the frame.20160225_201854_zpswbonldbk.jpg

Thanks

So the aqua should be curved or straight? I know about the red section and the fitting required

For DA smoothness, you want to soften the harsh angle. Don't go to pound town with a dremel on setting 9, lol. Just use a diamond bit, lowest setting on rotary, and just make a few passes before and after the angle or "inner elbow," if that makes sense.

For DA smoothness, you want to soften the harsh angle. Don't go to pound town with a dremel on setting 9, lol. Just use a diamond bit, lowest setting on rotary, and just make a few passes before and after the angle or "inner elbow," if that makes sense.

OK, so try to create a curve rather than a corner?