Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a shove in the right direction on a 3 gun optic

Clay1

After a couple of weeks of research, I think that I am down to two optics. Leupold VX-6 1-6 with the new Firedot 120448 vs a Burris XTR II 1-8 with a circle dot 201018.

I've been reading about First focal Plane vs second etc. I'm not going to have different optics for different types of matches. I'm going to buy ONE optic now in this price range and just run it for everything.

I would love some votes on which one - price on both is similar.

Thanks

Can't go wrong with either one. I have that burris ordered but I've almost cancelled it and switched to a few other optics. Lot of good choices in the price range and a little above. Just depends on what's most important to you (fov, weight, reticle, warranty, etc). Plus without seeing any hands on info about the burris it's really hard to comment on it.

Thanks for your thoughts Garmil. I did see in another thread where you ordered the Burris 1-8. I know it is a FFP optic, but with the Big circle thought that it would be fine for close work at 1X. Really wish there was some place that I could look through both of these. I know that the Leupold is SFP, but that one is has a simple fast reticle that is daylight bright and love the low weight on that.

First choice would be to run a couple of stages with both optics side by side

Second would be to actually look at them side by side

Third and what I will probably end up is just buying one of the two online and gambling with a $1000 purchase - I hate this option.

Yeah I'm curious to see what the size of that big circle looks like up close on 1x and if they were able to get it bright enough.

With the magnification turned up I think it will be great, only concern I have there is the .1 mil center dot I had the burris 1.5-8 that has the same size center dot and it was very hard to see on certain targets without the illumination on. With illumination it was too distracting because of the small horseshoe on that reticle, this one doesn't have that so I think it will be ok but will require illumination.

I've had other firedots and I like them a lot and the lighter weight is a big plus but I've looked through older ones and read that the leupold do still have some barrel distortion on 1x which I'm sensitive too.

If I don't love the Burris I'm going to sell it and probably get a kahles, or maybe a razor if they come out with a black one.

Called Burris today and talked to one of the tech guys. A couple of things for me to consider. The 1-8 is 34mm and I already own an ADM Recon X mount in 30 mm size so the 34 mm size will require a new mount on my part. The Leupold is a 30mm tube.

The big revelation is that the optic isn't available for a couple of months. I saw the Burris on Optics Planet and others and thought that it was available now. While he said that the release date was May 16, I fully understand how release dates get pushed back time and time again. Did that with a Trijicon MRO and it was pushed back not once or twice but several times. Not sure that I am up for that roller coaster again.

Clay, curious, when did you receive your MRO?

I ordered it on 8/16/15 from SWFA. Multiple promise dates, finally cancelled the order on 10/5/15. I then came close to ordering a T2, but with my astigmatism that still didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy so my attention turned to a Low Power Variable. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything. There is no rush and I have not found a clear winner to date. The investigation process is fun, but will be glad when it is over and I can spend time on the range learning the reticle and pulling the trigger.

Have you seen the Burris 1-5x for sale here on BE for $625? :cheers:

DVOR had those a week ago for $630 new and I passed. I saw some nice pictures here of the difference between the Burris on 5 and the Leupold VX6 on 6 power. That extra 20% power was a big difference to me. I understand that when I go to 1-8 the eye box is ever more critical and the eye relief is decreased. Maybe a 1-6 will be what is best for me.

Like I said earlier, can't wait for the decision making to be over and the making noise begins.

Interesting I email op and they responded saying march 5th. I'm sure Burris is the one to listen to. Just noticed the PA 1-8 is at op now that's another option for me.

I wanted to get another reps opinion, so yesterday I called Burris AGAIN to check the pulse. I see where OP says that this optic will ship between 16 and 25 days. The guy that I spoke to gave me a canned response of "shipping after April" After some more discussion and me telling him about my MRO experience and how I was disappointed with the release dates continually getting pushed back, he went and asked a supervisor and the answer from that guy was the release date would be most likely in June 2016 on the XTR II 1-8.

I have other optics to use, but why do we all want to have the latest hottest right off of the press? What mechanism in our brains, think that the newest is the best?

Uh......hem.......I still shoot iron sights, so I would have to say I missed the mechanism. :)

I'm not worthy :bow:

This getting old stuff is for the birds. Astigmatism and the dot in the red dots are pretty iffy these days. Bluntly looked through a Vortex 1-6 HD with illumination recently and that illuminated dot is blurred even with my glasses on at different intensities. These days, I take one blur and put it on top of another blur and do the best that I can and pull the trigger. Sad.

I still own a book by Jim Carmichael, called The Book of the Rifle. It's an older book and not a 3 gun type publication, but in it he talks about eye sight and shooting and brings up the concept that the best shooters don't necessarily have the best eyesight. The two are not a direct correlation. While good eyesight doesn't hurt, it isn't the main key to good shooting. While I don't hold myself in the same company as Carmichael and the better shooters, I have to keep reminding myself that my scores are based on many other skills and not to use my lack of 20/20 vision as an excuse. Work on what I can work on and what I can't change - I can't change.

Uh......hem.......I still shoot iron sights, so I would have to say I missed the mechanism. :)

I'm not worthy :bow:

This getting old stuff is for the birds. Astigmatism and the dot in the red dots are pretty iffy these days. Bluntly looked through a Vortex 1-6 HD with illumination recently and that illuminated dot is blurred even with my glasses on at different intensities. These days, I take one blur and put it on top of another blur and do the best that I can and pull the trigger. Sad.

If the dot is blurry, the scope needs to be focused. The reticle and hence the dot can be sharp. I marked my adjustment with a silver sharpie, since the adjustment changes depending on what lens I have in my glasses.