Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry/idpa .38 Super

Ron Ankeny

I had Benny build a .38 Super for dual purpose, carry and an occasional IDPA match. I no longer shoot IDPA but I think I'll shoot the gun in some of the boot leg steel matches around the state.

Benny is known to make a nuts reliable gun. This one is reliable, very accurate, and the fit and finish is just super (no pun intended). It's an STI top on a Caspian Race Ready frame. I put in a heck for stout spring and shot some of my .38 Super Open major loads. WOW, what a defensive round. Gotta be hard on the gun though. With 145 pf loads it shoots like a pussy cat. I like it. The next one will be a .45 for Limited 10.

super.jpg

You can get the Race Ready with factory cut checkering on the front strap, unless they've changed things. I have a .45 built on one. Brownell's used to have them in the catalog, and may still have them for all I know.

Front strap checkering looks cool and all, but Trugrip is better and cheaper in my book.

The checkering is from Caspian. It's a bit coarse, but I like it fine.

I took a Deremel to the mag opening and it is Plenty large....

I have been thinking along those same lines, but I start to shudder and shake when I hear the motor on the Foredom flexible shaft start up, lol.

OK, here's what I meant, lol. The checkering appears to be 20 lines per inch and I really prefer the the looks of finer checkering. Coarse checkering if pointed up sharp can be too aggressive, but in this case the checkering isn't too sharp. So, I prefer finer checkering, but I like the 20 lpi just fine. :wacko:

Wow! Purdy... :)

It looks to me like the checkering is actually a brazed/soldered on checkering applique, is it not? (Not that that's bad in any way, I'm just thinking that it might not be too tough to go to 30 lpi if that was the case.)