Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone worked with cfe pistol yet

chuckpetree

I am using it with some Berry's 124gr bullets and I am having a problem that others are too. At the max load it looks like the charge is not enough to expand the brass enough to seal the chamber. I am getting a lot of burn marks on the cases and a very dirty chamber. So far I have loaded to 5.5gr and I still have the same problem. I have been reading that guys are going to 5.8gr so I am going to start bumping the charge up until I see that the brass is expanding or I am getting some over pressure.

Currently working on some .357 Sig major loads. Lighting them off with Fed SPM and getting good results. Had previously used it in .38 Super when I had one. Good results there too. I would guess that it might be a little too slow for light 9mm loads and that is why people are getting the reults that they are.

In major loads it's similar to WAC. Even uses the same charge weights. About 7.2 or so with a 124

I've been using WAC and CFE for over a year and a half. I get the same velocity out of the same charge weights. (I don't even have to change the settings on the powder drop) but even at the same 172 PF, I prefer the feel of the WAC to the CFE, not really sure why, maybe not as harsh, but my logical mind tells me they should be the same (Issac Newton influence here), but my non logical side tells me no. Maybe I'm talking myself into seeing a difference between the two? Very strange.

post-56380-0-08325800-1456323645_thumb.j

Since we are in the topic of CFE-P,

For those that shoot 9mm major with CFE-P, do you find it extremely dirty? I was doing a load work up, shot 25 rounds of it and it got the comp extremely dirty, dirtier than the 90 rounds of HS-6 I shot of 38 Super. Took me a while to clean that comp.

I only use Autocomp or CFE for 9 major but don't think either are excessively dirty. At most I wipe the outside of the comp off with a rag. Every once in a while I'll poke around down into the ports and while it's black, I don't notice any kind of buildup that would need to be cleaned out.

I haven't had a chance to try it again in my Trubor .38 Super but I gave it a try last night in my XDm 5.25 steel gun. This load was so soft and flat shooting I started laughing! Midway is selling Federal 95 gr. JSPs at giveaway prices! I probably shouldn't have revealed that...

A little sooty, but not bad.

Bullet: Federal 95 gr. JSP

Powder: Hodgdon CFE-P 6.0 grs.

Primer: Federal Small Pistol

LOAL: 1.055

Case: Federal 9mm

XDm20Steel20Pistol.jpg

Edited by pbcaster45

Used 88gr jhp Remingtons in my steel gun years ago in front of w's and federal small pistol magnum primers. The witness 9x21mm with 3 port comp was actually recoiling down, due to the expelled gases and lack of recoil. Put on a hell of a light show at night as well.Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like between 4.6 and 5.0 with a conservative oal seems to shoot pretty good for most after further researching. Time to make some loads and test after healing. Good starting point anyway.

My best accurate loads with 9 mm Hornady 124 XTP. All loads were tested in GLOCK 17 Gen 4 pistol in temperature range 45-50'F.

These loads are replication of Hornady American Gunner 9mm 124 XTP +p Ammo.

Powder:CFE Pistol 5.5 grain

Case:Fed/Win/CBC/Perfecta.

Primer:CCI 500

COAL :1.073"(1.067"min)

Velocity :1180fps

I also use Titegroup powder with the same dies settings.

124 XTP + 4.1 gr.Titegroup

Case:Fed/Win/CBC/Perfecta

COAL:1.073"

Velocity :1186fps

I would recommend to start your reloads with 0.2 grain below my loads, especially if you use different primer and cartridge length.

Edited by Master-blaster

Good afternoon all,

Was happy to see this thread is pretty close to what I am looking for?

Loading 5.1 gr of CFE-P on a dillion 550 and I set the C.O.L. to 1.151 (+/- 0.003) with 124gr RN Plated from CMJ,

I use range brass I pickup besides my own, but clean, check and sort the brass by head stamp.

So I was loading to the above referenced load with RP brass, when I ran short (only about a dozen left) of RP brass and so I grabbed the box with FC brass off the shelf.

Well being the geek that I am I ran five rounds and checked them, what the heck, they are running 1.144 - 1.148 oal, now, I went back and double check the loads from previous with the RP's and they were all right on at 1.150 - 1.152.

So this being a new load for me that I am working on, brought up a red flag and I am worried about the change in col for over pressure, besides wondering why the case is making such a change in the COL, the only thing I can figure is the weight of the brass is making a looser fit with the head and sliding in more.

I kind a confirmed this when I went back and grab 5 RP brass cases from the box (only about 15 in the box) they ran at 1.151 & 1.152, thus its a case thing on the OAL.

But I am wondering what effect this will have on my loads for over pressure.

Input is welcomed this has got me confused......

Edited by SW39

Mixed headstamp brass (what I use) frequently gives this little fluctuation. I'm not familiar with loading using CFE-P but if your load is nowhere near max, I wouldn't worry about a .006 to .010 variation in OAL. If the chrono says the velocity isn't fluctuating more than you're comfortable with and it shoots tight groups through your gun... run it.

Note, again, that all of that presumes that you weren't nearing a +P spec or just plain overpressured load at the time, and that your load isn't compressing your powder.