Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor PF loads for 3gun

ducky0811

I'm new the forums and pretty new to ipsc (just earned my first classification). I shoot .45 in L10 for uspsa and intend on shooting .40 for 3gun. I'm looking for a ideas on a good minor PF load for a 180gr pill, I have 231 and clays on hand. I have used unique and hs6 (full power loads) in the past for .40 but I'm wondering if I can get away with something softer and keep reliability to 100%. Shooting a cz p09 if it helps. Thanks in advance!

Yap if you spring it lighter than factory, 40 Minor is great especially with clays. I have some for 3gun thats using 165 grain bullets and they are vary soft. hodgdon has loads on their website for 40minor which they are listing at 3-3.4 grains with a 180 grain bullet at 1.25 oal.

I use Montana Gold 165 HP with 3.8 grains of 700X, and it could go a bit lower, in my XDm 4.5. I have also use the 180 grain FP version with 3.6 grains, again in the 4.5 barrel. I would go a tenth higher for my 5.25 XDm. Would lower the charges by a couple of tenths for Blue Bullets.

The best combination I have found over the last several months of trying to find a soft shooting AND accurate load out of my .40 cal CZ P09 was 3.7gr titegroup under a 165 Bayou NLG FP, or 4.3gr N320 under a 170gr Precision swaged lead FP. Both loads are soft and accurate. I tried probably a dozen or more different powders under everything from 140gr to 180gr bullets and settled on the 165gr as the best solution. In my limited CZ experience it seems they like faster moving bullets to get the best accuracy and the 165gr-170gr seemed to be the best of all worlds.

If there is a load you are thinking of trying let me know, I may have some data for you.

My minor load is 2.8gr e3 over a LTC bullet. It makes 144PF. I could go lower, but I wanted to stay with something that worked with the 13lb spring I use for major. This load is amazingly accurate.