Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having an issue with 9mm Tripp mags

38supPat

Hello: Look at the disconnector rail where it intersects with the breach face. It should have a smooth radius there. If it does not and has sharp edges from the angle cut it will tend to grab the second round down. You can lightly stone the corners off till it is corrected. Go slow and check often. It may take only a couple of strokes with the stone. Thanks, Eric

I've experienced the same thing and am not sure what the fix is, either. I also cut a coil and didn't see any significant difference. It seems that if i only fire a couple rounds out out of a mag and drop it I'll sometimes get a hang up. If I shoot most of the mag (say about 5+ rounds) I don't seem to get the hang up. It is not a real consistent problem, but I can replicate it with dummy rounds. Also, it happens on more than one gun and in my case is not a disconnector track issue.

What I have done is if I know there is going to be only a few rounds fired then a mag drop I'll use a dawson or download the tripps. I like the trip mags a lot and appreciate their reliability and easy reloading, so if you (or anybody) has a real solution it would be good to share!

Second round in mag get dragged forward when first one chambers. Causes the mag to hang up and not fall free on reloads. Took a coil off spring to try a little less upward pressure and see if it helps. Any one else have this and a fix?

Pat, yes I regularly have this happen with Tripp magazines. BTW Ivan and I discussed this recently as he has also noticed this as we practise with 9mm during the winter indoor season.

Do not have a real solution. It happens with more than 6-7 rounds in the magazines. Do not know if the gun frame is significant to the issue, but it happens with STI Trojans and Sentries.

I have started using a different brand of magazine for my Barney magazine as that is the most common source of change a mag with more than 7 rounds remaining in the mag. If I expected to be changing a Tripp mag after firing only a couple of shots, I would not load fully load the magazine.

Ralph

Hello: Look at the disconnector rail where it intersects with the breach face. It should have a smooth radius there. If it does not and has sharp edges from the angle cut it will tend to grab the second round down. You can lightly stone the corners off till it is corrected. Go slow and check often. It may take only a couple of strokes with the stone. Thanks, Eric

Great advice. I always put a small bevel where the disc. Rail meets the breech face.

Tripp 9mm mags generally work well, with two notable exceptions: 1) Since they tend to push the round up and out, a mostly full mag can fail to drop free as the top round is pushed out and contacts frame as the mag drops, 2) I have on several occasions during a reload hit the mag on the magwell in such a way as to cause the top round to come out, or mostly out of the mag. Upon attempting to seat the mag, all heck breaks loose inside as there is usually a loose round that won't chamber. The mag has to be dropped and a new mag inserted. These little problems tend to kill match scores...

Neither of these issues occur with the Dawson's. In fact, they have been nearly flawless in almost three full years of use!

Now if we are talking .45 mags, Tripps rock.

I had the same issue with my Tripp 9mm mags. The "solution" that worked for me was to be sure that the rim of the top round was sitting in front of the rim of the second round (i.e., the rim of the top round sits inside the extractor groove of the second round). I admit that by the time I figured this out my springs might have been a little weakened, but arranging the top round definitely helped me.

Hmmm, hard to believe since it is very difficult to unload a loaded Dawson mag, at lest for the first two or three rounds.

I've put at least 30k rounds through my PM-9 with the Dawson's and they have not once hung up.

Edited by Rimcrew