Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training courses?

Nebwake

Does anyone recommend a specific training group? I am looking at a few like Max Michel's, Rob Leathum's and Universal Shooting Academy. Anyone have specific recommendations for anyone else? Of the three listed above who would you go to and why?

I am taking two of ben stoegers courses this year. I have heard nothing but positive reviews and I like his books and podcast. I take the first class next week. I can let you know how it goes. A class with Max would sure be excellent too.

Edited by CrashDodson

I can tell you that if you want to know more than you can remember about your shooting, take a class from Max. He not only trained the class he also trained each if us individually. He took the time to get back to us after the class. He explained what i needed to work on not just move faster and hit more alphas but how to move faster and how to hit more alphas. The best part was showing us where we / I was loosing boatloads of time. He is serious when he needs to be and funny when he should be. I'll be taking another just to help remember what I didn't write down during the first class, that and because it's great return on the money. I should have taken his class 3years ago. We had production - limited - single stack - and OPEN, and we all got more than anyone thought we would get from his Class. Good luck.

I can tell you that if you want to know more than you can remember about your shooting, take a class from Max. He not only trained the class he also trained each if us individually. He took the time to get back to us after the class. He explained what i needed to work on not just move faster and hit more alphas but how to move faster and how to hit more alphas. The best part was showing us where we / I was loosing boatloads of time. He is serious when he needs to be and funny when he should be. I'll be taking another just to help remember what I didn't write down during the first class, that and because it's great return on the money. I should have taken his class 3years ago. We had production - limited - single stack - and OPEN, and we all got more than anyone thought we would get from his Class. Good luck.

I can never find a training schedule on this website

I have taken 4 classes from Ben, the most recent were 2 weeks ago. No matter what your current skill level you will leave the class with a year's worth of specific things related to YOUR shooting to work on ... I've heard of GMs who were humbled taking one of his classes ... I would expect that Max's classes are just as good ... The big difference is price & availability ....

I only have experience with Ben Stoeger, and I got alot out of his classes.

If I were going to take another class soon, I would look real hard at steve anderson. He may not win as many championships as those other guys, but if you look at other sports, the best coaches were often journeyman players, with less natural talent, so they had to figure everything out the hard way. Just listening to anderson's podcasts has entirely changed my outlook on training, and really bumped up my progress and results.

I also think the average newer shooter could get an awful lot of value and knowledge from a lesser-known M or GM who has some experience teaching. Matt Hopkins and Tim Herron come to mind, and since they are based in the KC area, it might be easier to arrange to travel to them. There is nothing magic about the big names.

Edited by motosapiens

Take most other sports very elite players for example, they will not be teaching or coaching classes because they get paid enough to not have to supplement their income. Its crazy NASCAR drive that only won 1 race a year for 10 years made over 44 million in prize money. Maybe one day sponsors will step up. But thats a whole different topic.

I do agree Steve Anderson is a really good choice as well. See who is closest to you local and talk to them. You should be able to get a good feeling if you would like to spend a few days learning from them. Rob Latham, Steve Anderson, Manny Bragg, Frank Garcia, Shannon Smith, Ron Avery, Matt Mink, Bill Drummond or my fav Max. The only reason to choose one of the "big names" is they have been teaching classes for years so they know how to teach and how to read the students. If you are just starting you can talk to the local GM's, I'm sure they will help you also. I think if you are willing you can learn something from everyone.

Edited by a matt

If I were going to take another class soon, I would look real hard at steve anderson. He may not win as many championships as those other guys, but if you look at other sports, the best coaches were often journeyman players, with less natural talent, so they had to figure everything out the hard way. Just listening to anderson's podcasts has entirely changed my outlook on training, and really bumped up my progress and results.

I also think the average newer shooter could get an awful lot of value and knowledge from a lesser-known M or GM who has some experience teaching. Matt Hopkins and Tim Herron come to mind, and since they are based in the KC area, it might be easier to arrange to travel to them. There is nothing magic about the big names.

I cant listen to steves podcast and the stupid music. If I wanted to listen to crappy music I wouldnt be listening to a shooting podcast *off soapbox*

Listening to podcasts will not make you a better shooter .. Taking classes will. I've also taken a class from Steve Anderson and I can guarentee you he never played one note of 'stupid music' during the entire 2 days of shooting ..........

Listening to podcasts will not make you a better shooter .. Taking classes will. I've also taken a class from Steve Anderson and I can guarentee you he never played one note of 'stupid music' during the entire 2 days of shooting ..........

Thats good....i might put him back on the short list

Any of the big names will help if you want to learn.

I took a class with Tim Herron and Matt Hopkins and loved it. They gave me enough to work on for the next year.

The real value from a class comes from applying it for the next year in training. If you don't plan on dry firing and practicing the changes, then you won't see much benefit. You will have a lot of fun though.

I'm taking a class with Ben this summer as well.

I cant listen to steves podcast and the stupid music. If I wanted to listen to crappy music I wouldnt be listening to a shooting podcast *off soapbox*

You are doing it wrong. My iphone podcast app has a fast forward button. I just FF through the crappy music.

Listening to podcasts will not make you a better shooter

It's been making me a better shooter. Really it's transformed everything about my training. Of course you have to think about what you are hearing and apply it, but you have to do the same for in-person training. YMMV.

Edited by motosapiens

I'd be thrilled to take classes from Rob Leatham, Ben Stoeger, Max Michel, Steve Anderson. Other names mentioned here, I'm not so familiar with.

I also want to take a class from Pat McNamara. He is coming to a place near me in October. This will be carbine/pistol training, geared more toward LE and military but with elements of practical shooting ("TAPS").

Very interesting guy. I only know him through his two videos and three books, and his 5-time Production championship reputation, but someone who got initially classified in USPSA as a GM has got something going on that everyone can learn from, and I believe I know what it is by looking at his material. He's smart and he's disciplined, for starters.

Signed up for Stoeger's Practical Pistol class next month, and the Skills and Drills class next year. Really looking forward to it. I'd love to attend an Anderson class, but not sure there is enough interest locally for me to host one.

I'd be thrilled to take classes from Rob Leatham, Ben Stoeger, Max Michel, Steve Anderson. Other names mentioned here, I'm not so familiar with.

I also want to take a class from Pat McNamara. He is coming to a place near me in October. This will be carbine/pistol training, geared more toward LE and military but with elements of practical shooting ("TAPS").

This is what we are looking for more than a straight USPSA class. I know that Rob and Max both have LE/Mil specific courses. Only a few in my group shoot competitively, but I feel we can all benefit learning "advanced" fundamentals as we are all generally proficient on the tactics side of the house. My guys tend to suffer on accuracy under stress more than anything as they tend to get ahead of themselves in drills that combine accurate shooting and high speed explosive movements.

Edited by Nebwake

my assumption was that you are taking classes because you plan to apply what you learned in your training ....

If you just like taking classes and don't couple that with a training program to use your new found knowledge ( and a LOT of people do this) than you are correct, taking classes won't do anything for you except reduce your bank account a little bit

A good teacher can lead us to water, but we have to drink. The great value of a teacher is being able to show or tell something within a few moments that might have taken a lifetime to stumble upon ourselves, or maybe it never would have even occurred to us.

All learning has to be internalized and owned and applied by the learner. My fifth grade teacher used to say something along the lines of "I want to teach you that we all teach ourselves."

• 2 weeks later...