Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carrying a spare Tanfo?

Jezz

Hi all,

I currently shoot an Aussie version Stock 2 that a forum member kindly sold me a little over a year ago. I have the replaced the internals with EG parts and the thing is very sweet to shoot.

I ran into my first major issue in a recent match when I broke a Trigger return spring. Luckily I had a spare and punches etc to fix it relatively easily. However it got me thinking, when do you justify carrying a spare gun?

Im traveling a lot more for matches and while my home gunsmith skills are ok, I am certainly not the best or fastest at doing it.

Are there any Tanfo shooters that use a spare gun with a similar or identical setup? have you ever "needed it"? and if so do you keep one for matches and one for practice? or just similar round counts?

Im currently debating if I should go down this path or if im just properly paranoid lol

Most serious shooters do have backup guns, some have match gun and a practice gun. Some suggest rotating both guns.

If you have decided that the tanfoglio is your platform and seeing yourself travelling to matches. Then it would be practical. You may been lucky to have the tools, parts and time to fix your gun when you broke a part. But that is added stress you have to endure to get back in the game. What If you could not fix your gun then thst match is lost.

I have a spare. Haven't had to use it yet.

I know of people who have a practice gun and a match gun, but I'd rather put all my reps on my primary on only use my spare when needed, rather than having to adjust to a gun that might be ever so slightly different.

I bought a second stock 2 for a backup so I would have the exact same setup. However, the end one that I bought has a much wider and deeper rear sight and I hate it so much I won't touch the gun because i always shoot so dang low with it.

I run a limited HC open conversion as does the wife. I took both to nationals last year in Darwin and had a massive failure with my primary, so switched to the backup gun. Now I don't go to an away match without it. If nothing else it gives me peace of mind should something go wrong, but really if you have spare parts for all the things that are likely to break you shouldn't need a complete gun as a spare.

2 Stock 2's, One is my dryfire gun, and one is my shoot gun. The dryfire gun rides shotgun for matches.

I never broke anything on it. If I do, I'm just grabbing the other gun.

Necessary? I don't know about that. It sure seems like a good idea to me.

I DO know I can't take one apart without shooting something across the room, so I would expect no less in the safe area.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Some very valid points. I think expensive insurance is a very accurate description. However given that I often drop parts taking things apart at home, doing so at a match is less than ideal (I was lucky my smith was on my squad last time, so I had help)

I guess if im spending upwards of $750 to go to some matches, 2K on a spare gun isnt an unjustifiable amount to be sure I can get through a match.

Late to the party, but I think it basically breaks down like an insurance policy. If you're traveling, getting hotel rooms, and paying for match entry for a lot of matches, it's probably worth it to have an extra gun. If you shoot a local match once or twice a month, it might not be worthwhile.

Most of us own multiple guns anyhow... For me it was worth selling some guns I don't shoot anymore to finance a backup that I use from time to time. I also like to keep a slightly stiffer trigger in my backup for training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some very valid points. I think expensive insurance is a very accurate description. However given that I often drop parts taking things apart at home, doing so at a match is less than ideal (I was lucky my smith was on my squad last time, so I had help)

I guess if im spending upwards of $750 to go to some matches, 2K on a spare gun isnt an unjustifiable amount to be sure I can get through a match.

You're shopping in the wrong places

You're shopping in the wrong places

Australian prices mate. A brand new Stock 2 modded with all the EG parts will run you about 1500-1800 US depending on what you replace. Stock 2 Xtreme currently about $1800US with the exchange rate as it is (around 1 AUD buying $0.72US)

Could not imagine not having a spare gun when traveling to a sanctioned match. If I'm just running out to a local club match, I don't bring a spare gun.

Ideally, you'd like your spare to be as identical as possible to your main gun.

Personally, If I couldn't come up with the money for two Stock IIs, I think I'd probably switch to a less expensive gun, so that I could have a matched pair.

I've just seen too many guns go down at matches. And while you can generally find someone willing to loan you a gun to finish the match, I'd much rather not have to worry about that.

Ouch! Those down under prices hurt!

Yeah we dont tend to do all that well with pricing when it comes to firearms. Last lot of Tanfo mags I got in Aus cost $90US each. I used to get most of my parts etc from the states. Now you have a stupid $100 limit on part exports...